Phantom Regiment 2024

8 hours ago, PRomoter said:

Any hot takes on placement for 2024? LOL JK

have to get in my obligatory first post. Still riding the COVID bus. I predict next year I will also take vacation to go to Indy, get great seats for semis and finals and come down with hot dog fingers and Euromycitisis. Taking one for the team. 

Hope you get to feeling better soon! COVID definitely is not as much fun as listening to Phantom blow the roof off of Lucas Oil.

But to get in my obligatory first post as well, I think next year will be the year the staff really locks in together and we start seeing Phantom take those next steps to be an annual top-six corps. As much as this past year was big for design and creating a new Phantom identity for today’s world, I think next year will continue to push the envelope with a show that’s much more technical and challenging, both in terms of music and drill.

• Like 1

A requirement these days is musical variety, and Regiment did a great job of this in 2023. Pop/rock/jazz + brass band + wind ensemble + classical, or some combination thereof.

A tremendously underused composer is Sibelius. I'd love to see some combo of Sibelius (e.g., the brass motif from Pohjola's Daughter would be cool throughout a show), Rautavaara, Raitio (e.g., some awesome themes in The Waterspout), and modern/film stuff by Johan Johansson. Bjork would be perfect, but Crown just used some of her stuff. Maybe a Norse or nature theme. Something based on stories from the Kallevala might be too niche.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 7:43 AM, jthomas666 said:

220px-Pdq-bach-oedipus-tex.jpg

I mean PR WOULD be pretty &%^ good at some of the counterpoint stuff!

On 8/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, kdaddy said:

A requirement these days is musical variety, and Regiment did a great job of this in 2023. Pop/rock/jazz + brass band + wind ensemble + classical, or some combination thereof.

A tremendously underused composer is Sibelius. I'd love to see some combo of Sibelius (e.g., the brass motif from Pohjola's Daughter would be cool throughout a show), Rautavaara, Raitio (e.g., some awesome themes in The Waterspout), and modern/film stuff by Johan Johansson. Bjork would be perfect, but Crown just used some of her stuff. Maybe a Norse or nature theme. Something based on stories from the Kallevala might be too niche.

Can you imagine if someone could somehow integrate Sibelius' Violin Concerto as part of the theme in a Sibelius based show? I can't figure out how it would work....but it's a wonderful piece. It doesn't build to resolution quickly enough for an opener in my head. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
Because I apparently can't spell the word "it"
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 5:23 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

Phantom hasn't killed off anyone in a while, I think it's time for the comeback. Boston has been outdoing them in this department for a few years

I always thought if a corp tried to do a Game of Thrones type show PR would be good at that. 

3 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I always thought if a corp tried to do a Game of Thrones type show PR would be good at that. 

That's it...working title for 2024. "Death is Only the Beginning"

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's it...working title for 2024. "Death is Only the Beginning"

You. Go get on a corps design staff. Now. I'm getting chills just imagining Brandt Crocker say that. It would be awesome if they did some audio alterations for the announcer's voice (like Bloo did for Tilt and Kinetic Noise) and pitched/slowed his voice down

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

You. Go get on a corps design staff. Now. I'm getting chills just imagining Brandt Crocker say that. It would be awesome if they did some audio alterations for the announcer's voice (like Bloo did for Tilt and Kinetic Noise) and pitched/slowed his voice down

I just think it would be funny. You could put easter eggs all over the props from PR's previous "kills" (VK style) 

• Haha 1

Star Wars show.  You got the storm troopers already and Darth Vader.  Just have the horn line do a rifle (blaster) toss and miss catching every one.

• Haha 1