Phantom Regiment 2024

1 hour ago, college-phan said:

Pardon the expression but Yowza!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Strengthen up that left hand and maybe they'll talk.

What's so funny is that I have what back then, was a weird, hybrid, east coast west coast blend. My private teacher back then was an SCV alum and our battery instructors were all SOA guys. The whole weak left hand thing came from a statement at an SOA camp where the comment was made that my left hand was too vertical to the head to not be weak on the downstroke. But it served the purpose. I could arm it, wrist it, legato it, open it up...whatever. Now everyone is a blended style so it's not as "weird."

54 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Pardon the expression but Yowza!

They're doing a MUCH better job this year at really pushing a great recruiting vibe. Short, exciting and accessible. 

Something I have always wondered. Back when I marched everything was word of mouth and connections when it came to recruiting (at least down south.) You had a band director who marched with another band director in the area in corps x. It was very 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon-esque.

Now you have generations of instructors, writers, etc who learned under great names. But why do corps not leverage that in recruiting? Like if I was a horn cat and you've got JD Shaw writing your brass book, that 'ish IS going into a brass recruiting video. Oh Rennick is writing your drum book (not saying he is)? Percussion recruiting video time.

Why not leverage the individual captions and speak directly to your target audience? I would be stoked if I was a brass guy and Shaw was writing the book. That's where I'm auditioning. 

Look....some folks chase rings. And that's fine. But only 160 of 'em are gonna go to corps x. Recruit the folks who want the best possible musical experience and are excited by the musical learning first and foremost. 

Just my opinion

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

What's so funny is that I have what back then, was a weird, hybrid, east coast west coast blend. My private teacher back then was an SCV alum and our battery instructors were all SOA guys. The whole weak left hand thing came from a statement at an SOA camp where the comment was made that my left hand was too vertical to the head to not be weak on the downstroke. But it served the purpose. I could arm it, wrist it, legato it, open it up...whatever. Now everyone is a blended style so it's not as "weird."

But it made you who you are. There’s a lot of folks here who love you for that. SUTA brother!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure satellite camps and recruiting have been a norm for awhile now?  Maybe paused during the pandemic stuff but yeah, they'd be nuts not to in this day and age.

7 hours ago, college-phan said:

It really is a good show. There are some moments that they were old and some when they were new. It's a good blend and much like great musicians, staff had to learn to blend as well. If they can maintain staff and vets, I really do think they could go as high as 5th this coming season. I know I'm going to probably catch some flack for this (and it's admittedly dumb) but......You remember when you marched and you just feel in your gut where you were placing that night when you came off the field? Yeah that one. Especially Prelims. My gut tells me 5th or 6th. I have nothing to back that up but just that feeling. I dunno.

I found it interesting that we talked about minor changes from very early on such as colored fabric on the props and then @RebelGTP confirmed that it was at least being considered. I've never really taken much stock in corps reading DCP, but maybe they do. 

• Like 2

So I was going back and listening again to what HUAWEI did with Schuberts unfinished 8th. There are some elements in it that scream PR. And I'm not an absolutely huge Schubert fan. Plus, since it's AI....AND even if they call it Schubert, it's WELL over 100 years old and public domain. 

EDIT: Had to add this

There's another piece from Aiva called A Common Humanity.

Kind of film score-ish but the first time I heard it, I thought "Wow PR or Cavies would absolutely WRECK this as a ballad."

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever