DCI's Next Director

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

But sometimes you don’t know if they would take the job unless asked. Or if they have questions that need to be answered before giving a yes or no

All of those questions need to be discussed and answered before an offer is extended. 

37 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Drum Corps is and always has been the most diverse and inclusive organization I can think of.  

Inclusive… sure, mostly.  Diverse?  Not even close.  It’s not affordable enough to promote diversity. And all the corps who were actually bringing diversity to the activity are gone. 

I marched 96-01, I can count the members who weren’t white in all groups I marched on my fingers and toes.  I can count non white educators on 2 fingers.

as an educator, I’m not the diversity drum corps needs. But While numbers are better, in the decade I taught I can still count non white members on fingers and toes, and non white educators I’ve worked alongside on 8 fingers. 

is it better? Sure. Is it good enough? Nope. 

• Like 9

On 9/24/2023 at 8:00 PM, C.Holland said:

Inclusive… sure, mostly.  Diverse?  Not even close.  It’s not affordable enough to promote diversity. And all the corps who were actually bringing diversity to the activity are gone. 

I marched 96-01, I can count the members who weren’t white in all groups I marched on my fingers and toes.  I can count non white educators on 2 fingers.

as an educator, I’m not the diversity drum corps needs. But While numbers are better, in the decade I taught I can still count non white members on fingers and toes, and non white educators I’ve worked alongside on 8 fingers. 

is it better? Sure. Is it good enough? Nope. 

I had a different experience and observation.  I saw basically the same ethnic make-up as existed in the general population at the time and our corps even more, perhaps because we were based in Southern California.  I do agree the cost of participation is too high but I don't see how that can be avoided.  As long as everyone has equal opportunity to participate and all are treated with dignity and respect that's what counts in my book. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I had a different experience and observation.  I saw basically the same ethnic make-up as existed in the general population at the time and our corps even more, perhaps because we were based in Southern California.  

You were not alone.  Many corps of that era had membership that was a representative sample of their local population.  (This is back when many corps had local membership.)

I do agree the cost of participation is too high but I don't see how that can be avoided.  

It could have been avoided by simply saying "no" to the cosmetic changes that have added to the cost since back in your day.  It is absolutely baffling to watch people rally in defense of two-month tours, truckloads of pit percussion, the complete catalog of band brass instrumentation, unlimited electronics, props, etc., AND rally in defense of diversity, but only at the bumper-sticker level.

Next time you all are wondering why olde tymers complain about all these "irreversible" changes... this is one good reason.

Has more to do with affording drum corps than anything.  Want inclusive, lower the cost.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Has more to do with affording drum corps than anything.  Want inclusive, lower the cost.

The cost to March is directly proportionate to the cost & budget to field a drum corps. The reality is that drum corps is a high-end highbrow activity for the upper middle class.

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You were not alone.  Many corps of that era had membership that was a representative sample of their local population.  (This is back when many corps had local membership.)

It could have been avoided by simply saying "no" to the cosmetic changes that have added to the cost since back in your day.  It is absolutely baffling to watch people rally in defense of two-month tours, truckloads of pit percussion, the complete catalog of band brass instrumentation, unlimited electronics, props, etc., AND rally in defense of diversity, but only at the bumper-sticker level.

Next time you all are wondering why olde tymers complain about all these "irreversible" changes... this is one good reason.

agree to a point. however, the fact housing is rarely free now wouldn't have been affected by any of that

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

agree to a point. however, the fact housing is rarely free now wouldn't have been affected by any of that

Wait - the cost of housing is not affected by the length of the tour?  Not affected by non-local membership?  A corps needs 11 weeks of housing instead of 3 weeks because of those changes.