A Dinosaur's Lament

Heh, I realize now there is a potential confusing contradiction in my story: I claim to have not participated as a spectator in the 2023 DCI season yet I reference 2023 shows.

Clarification: I watched the Finals performances of the three medalists on The Site That Shall Not Be Named. This is the first year in over 30 that I have not spent any money supporting DCI.

34 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

I claim to have not participated as a spectator in the 2023 DCI season yet I reference 2023 shows.

Yeah I was confused for a second!

Personally, I couldn't care less about scores and which corps wins. I want to be entertained and moved by a performance, and the most cohesive shows are the ones that do it for me. If I have a gripe with show design, it's either that the music and visuals clash instead of coordinate, or that I just don't "get" the concept. But if I have a gripe about execution, it's whenever a corps draws attention to their skill level -- poor execution is distracting, sure, but some of the corps that shoot for extra credit seem like they're doing it at the expense of the story they're trying to tell.

Which also means I get to fall for most of the gimmicks! Case in point -- I couldn't tell you what they were playing if you paid me, but seeing the Cavies playing upside down back in 2011 is still one of the all-time highs for me as a fan 😃

Edited by Dynamike
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

The Build-Up judging system has fallen into the same pitfall the old Tick system had: it is beating down corps trying new things in favor of corps who aren't doing as much stuff but were doing it cleaner. Full circle.

That is a misconception.  The tic system did not "beat down" corps that tried new things.  You had to work within the specific requirements at the time (starting from the side line, color pre, etc.) but corps could and did try new things.  That's how we progressed from playing mostly Yankee Doodle Dandy & Battle Hymn.  If a corp didn't want to do much stuff for the sake of being clean (no one did that) their GE score would suffer.

I'll save my rebuttal for G-bugles for another time 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hostrauser said:

I remember the interviews with Jeff Fiedler and Gene Monterastelli on those tapes, and Monterastelli in particular pointing out the big flaw of the tick system: it was beating down corps trying new things in favor of corps who weren't doing as much stuff but were doing it cleaner.

That is compoundly false.

First, corps have never been systematically punished for trying new things.  The entire history of organized field competition is filled with corps trying new things, and (not by coincidence) competing at the very top while doing so.

Further, using the terms "tick system" and "build-up" as if antonyms is a misconception.  There has always been a build-up component in the judging system, ever since there was a system (i.e. 1920s).  The final "tick system" of DCI, if memory serves, was only 55% ticks; the other 45% were build-up captions rewarding content and general effect.

Also, "new things" and "difficult things" are not always the same things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Another one of these? 🥱

Dino Lives Matter. 

You go, @hostrauser. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

That is a misconception.  The tic system did not "beat down" corps that tried new things.  You had to work within the specific requirements at the time (starting from the side line, color pre, etc.) but corps could and did try new things.  That's how we progressed from playing mostly Yankee Doodle Dandy & Battle Hymn.  If a corp didn't want to do much stuff for the sake of being clean (no one did that) their GE score would suffer.

I'll save my rebuttal for G-bugles for another time 🙂

Yeah but…

Compare show designs today to show designs using the tick system. They literally don’t compare. The creativity and general excellence is off the charts now. Literally.

The theory of the tick system is one thing; the unintended outcomes are something entirely different.

• Like 1

Got your back, @hostrauser. Your central thesis (people are being distracted by your comments about the tick system) is a fascinating one: The current system, purported to unleash unlimited creativity, has paradoxically driven itself into a cul-de-sac.

Granted, it's hard to see evidence for your assertion on the surface. Bloo is a riot of unconventional thinking. Crown has blown people's minds several times this decade. There is no other word for Mandarins this year than creative.

But if I follow you correctly, your diagnosis is more directed at the creativity of method, not at the content of the performances. BD has mastered the method, and thus need only apply the thinnest of new washes over the top each season to collect another gold medal. Surely this can't be what the visionaries had in mind in the 1980s when the tick system was abolished. It's worth thinking about.

Speaking of the tick system: I'm even more of a dino than you, and it was drum corps' obsession with perfection that generated my fascination with it and motivated me to march. It was precisely the pristine clarity of uniform performance -- group precision -- that set drum corps apart and made it, in my mind, worthy of attempt. The precision was the cool. The ability to send a judge back to the sideline with an empty clipboard was the thrill. The pursuit of tickless was energizing, not constraining. There was plenty of creativity within that system; 1982 drum corps was well advanced, creatively speaking, from 1972 drum corps. But at least as far as I was concerned, I didn't get into drum corps for the creativity; I got into it to be part of a dazzling music ensemble.

Not that I long for a return to the tick system. But I share your sense that something is lost when how you build your show means more, competitively speaking, than how you perform on the field.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2