Posted from Reddit

12 hours ago, TheDoctoress said:

Interesting! A couple questions come up for me:

Playing while marching isn’t easy, neither is choreography, but is for sure a distinct skill. Did Troopers, Crown, and Cadets get appropriately credited for this difficulty?

The crowd seemed to favor groups on the lower end of the scale, like Mandarins and Phantom. Is that the direction the activity as a whole is headed? 

There’s some variety within the finalists and their placements. Would we notice if they were all 20%? Would we like it?

Good and valid questions.  

15 hours ago, Zanjero said:

It wouldn't be much.
The above criteria for marching and playing includes playing and demonstrating any movement, rhythmically together, from one point to another. 

so in an 11 minute show the average is half the time they don't play or move anywhere?

8 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Want to watch my eyes roll until they get stuck? Bring out the stop watches 

Would eyes rolling until they get stuck score GE points similar to all the lunging/swaying/body posturing we see when the brass are standing still while playing?   

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Can confirm.  Granddaughter is starting middle school band (French horn).  

Particularly that 6th grade band for beginners.  I was the only one who could really even play their instrument when I had to sit through that. 

My main issue with Phantom's show this year was the lack of marching while playing.  They did the same thing Madison did last year:  the section actually playing is stationary while the other member march/move.  

To the OP, was this type of movement included in the time marching while playing?  

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so in an 11 minute show the average is half the time they don't play or move anywhere?

Marching & Playing less:
- Marching
- Standing
- Standing & Playing
- Running
- Running & Playing
- Wandering
- Wandering & Playing
- Dancing
- Lying down & Playing 
= Playing & Dancing
🤣

16 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Then we call them "middle school band."

I mean you’re not wrong

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tony L. said:

My main issue with Phantom's show this year was the lack of marching while playing.  They did the same thing Madison did last year:  the section actually playing is stationary while the other member march/move.  

To the OP, was this type of movement included in the time marching while playing?  

OP here. I don't know, just copied/pasted from something on Reddit for discussion.

If I were the one doing the timing, though, big fat no. No credit should be given for simultaneous moving/playing if the section actually playing is not moving.

• Thanks 1