Shows that hit different when you know the lore

What shows can you never watch the same way again after knowing the staff's true intentions for it?

For me it's The Cut-Outs. I saw it live, knew it was based on an artist. Fun! Colors! Dancing! Enjoying it even more because it makes some people mad!

Then I went to Big Loud & Live and saw the director interview. HOLY FRICK. "Actually it's about World War II" was the biggest plot twist of my life. I enjoyed it just as much on a second viewing but could not get the interview out of my mind, and I am 100% okay with that. The guy's comment about "the battery is gunfire" lives rent free in my head. I felt like the opposite of headbanging- I pretty much tensed up stiff like a corpse, covered in goosebumps head to toe when the drum break happened. 

BD basically pulled the smoothest stealth operation ever. Incredibly dark subject matter in a trojan horse of their typical imagery. Love that for them. Makes me wonder if House is Not a Home is about serial killers or something. I knew there was a reason that's my favorite BD song

• Like 2

2023 bluecoats being about drugs. Basically every Boston show poking fun at BD

15 hours ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

2023 bluecoats being about drugs. Basically every Boston show poking fun at BD

I think you are wrong on both counts.  2022 Bloo May have been more drug related than 2023.  Boston was not about BD. At all.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

What shows can you never watch the same way again after knowing the staff's true intentions for it?

For me it's The Cut-Outs. I saw it live, knew it was based on an artist. Fun! Colors! Dancing! Enjoying it even more because it makes some people mad!

Then I went to Big Loud & Live and saw the director interview. HOLY FRICK. "Actually it's about World War II" was the biggest plot twist of my life. I enjoyed it just as much on a second viewing but could not get the interview out of my mind, and I am 100% okay with that. The guy's comment about "the battery is gunfire" lives rent free in my head. I felt like the opposite of headbanging- I pretty much tensed up stiff like a corpse, covered in goosebumps head to toe when the drum break happened. 

BD basically pulled the smoothest stealth operation ever. Incredibly dark subject matter in a trojan horse of their typical imagery. Love that for them. Makes me wonder if House is Not a Home is about serial killers or something. I knew there was a reason that's my favorite BD song

And it is somewhat ironic that Matisse cooperated with the Nazi’s so he could remain an artist.  

52 minutes ago, deftguy said:

The Boston Crusaders Animal Farm show. At first, I didn't get it. As it unfolded during the season, the "easter egg" digs at the DCI elite became more apparent. I thought it was great even though it did not do particularly well. 

As the video linked elsewhere mentioned. It was a pretty hard show. They were never gonna fully clean it.  But they got it out there with all the verve it needed to shine.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I think you are wrong on both counts.  2022 Bloo May have been more drug related than 2023.  Boston was not about BD. At all.

Bloo 23 was kinda about drugs. I mean I interpreted it as “Alice in Wonderland” -esque. And that story is basically about drugs. 

And I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that. I enjoyed this year’s show immensely. But yeah, it’s pretty trippy.

45 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Bloo 23 was kinda about drugs. I mean I interpreted it as “Alice in Wonderland” -esque. And that story is basically about drugs. 

And I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that. I enjoyed this year’s show immensely. But yeah, it’s pretty trippy.

The show may have been “Alice in Wonderland”-esque, but that wasn’t what it was about. It may have been trippy, but it wasn’t about drugs.

It was bringing to life the Wm. Blake poem that was quoted throughout the show. Now it is fair to debate the meaning of the poem, but it was not about drugs. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1