Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes but will they bankrupt themselves out of existence to be competitive one last time?

i want them on the field and kicking ### too. but i want them to get fiscally sound and seriously overhaul governance. theres some good organizations in DCI to look at on how to get the behind the scenes #### in great shape...hell look right down the road

If you are right about the shape that they are in after already a year off, then they just made a big mistake.  It would be better to take another year (though that will also greatly impact/hinder their future competitiveness) of the situation is that dire.........what you mention did happen with both Suncoast Sound and Magic...as examples..........

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

no third party audits no sign off by the state. that was explained a while ago

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of California non-profit tax laws/governance........if the Vanguard doesn't get that monkey off of their back, they will be finished............I would hope that they know that, and have done/are doing what is necessary............

I don't know anything about finance and everything they're going through. But I hope for the best and hope to see them live again. They were really good in 2022. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

no third party audits no sign off by the state. that was explained a while ago

I find the CA DOJ notices of delinquency less than clear, but the first one said that it appeared per applicable law that audited financials were required, so that VMAPA should either provide them or explain why audited financials were not required by law. The second delinquency notice did not mention audited financials, only that IRS Form 990s must be filed.

Possibly VMAPA provided DOJ with a satisfactory explanation of why audited financials were not required. Or possibly CA DOJ expects that as it never retracted its position that audited financials seemed to be required, it is still expecting them.

But as of today, the CA charities registry continues to show VMAPA as delinquent, meaning they cannot be soliciting or disbursing charitable funds  And yet, there are those donation pages on their website….

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I find the CA DOJ notices of delinquency less than clear, but the first one said that it appeared per applicable law that audited financials were required, so that VMAPA should either provide them or explain why audited financials were not required by law. The second delinquency notice did not mention audited financials, only that IRS Form 990s must be filed.

Possibly VMAPA provided DOJ with a satisfactory explanation of why audited financials were not required. Or possibly CA DOJ expects that as it never retracted its position that audited financials seemed to be required, it is still expecting them.

But as of today, the CA charities registry continues to show VMAPA as delinquent, meaning they cannot be soliciting or disbursing charitable funds  And yet, there are those donation pages on their website….

Old habits hang around as long and board members keep them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lawdn said:

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but believe they are allowed to ask for donations. But these will not be tax deductible for the donor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lawdn said:

Well follow the money. Why can’t they provide audit statements? The same reason they magically were in financial trouble. Incompetence in management. As it appears, the people on staff for VMAPA in that 2019-2021 time period did not know how to properly account for their transactions leaving incomplete, inaccurate books. You can’t perform an audit *or pass* an audit with incomplete inaccurate books. And since proper record keeping wasn’t done, it’s not easy now to go back and try to put it together to get an audit done. 

A lot of what I’m saying is speculative in nature, but I possibly cannot see any other logical reason to 1) not have an audit done (I used to be a tax preparer for many many non profit organizations. I was always informed of/involved with audits of non profits) 2) suddenly being in financially dire positions when you have a successful 3+ million dollar bingo operation. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bob984 said:

Third party audits are not going to happen......who is going to pay for those???  Yes, they will have to answer to any governmental issues they may have.....to the government........everyone in the world can speculate where they stand there, but it is between the Vanguard and the agencies involved............DCI doesn't own or run any drum corps.........it is true that they may ask to review the corps to see if they are considered fiscally ok enough to tour and have done it in the past, but they are not looking to micromanage....if they did, we would be down to well under 10 world class corps.......

Yes, the Vanguard messed up in managing their fiscal house, and things blew up on them in a hurry.  However, I am not interested in seeing them (or ANY corps) thrown under the microscope in that regard.....I want them to survive........

Having hope is never a bad thing, even in the face of adversity.

I didn’t say hope was bad, I said it isn’t enough.  
SCV has burned lots of bridges.  Trust level w/ current BoD is very low. 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but believe they are allowed to ask for donations. But these will not be tax deductible for the donor. 

I think you are correct.  And this opens many cans of worms - one for each SCV donor, esp those who donate large sums  

The new, transparent, SCV should post, next to their donation solicitation, a statement concerning whether the donation is tax deductible.   

• Like 1