Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

As a fan of drum corps I have nothing to add to this subject other than this: We live in a country governed by LAWS..Once made aware of our responsibilities under these laws we either follow them to the letter, bend them to suit our agendas(but still legal) or ignore them altogether...If a law is broken, the offender is expected to pay the penalty regardless of status, wealth etc...So, if an organization is not in compliance with the law and the governing body( State of California) prohibits their continuance until they've paid the penalty and reestablished their credibility, this is not a drum corps issue, but rather a legal one as Jeff Ream has stated several times...It would seem that everything else is moot...I'd like to see SCV on the field in 2024 as would most of us, but unless and until the LEGAL is definitively CLEARED, 2024 competitively has to be on hold...no?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, MarkHornGA said:

From the California AG website:

https://oag.ca.gov/charities/delinquency#:~:text=This includes not being able,and may result in penalties.

“A charitable organization that is not in good standing because it is delinquent may not operate or solicit donations in California. This includes not being able to be listed in solicitations or receive donations through charitable fundraising platforms. If the delinquency is not fixed, the organization’s status will be further changed to Suspended, and/or Revoked and may result in penalties. The Franchise Tax Board will also be notified about the delinquent status and the organization may lose its tax exemption.”

Regarding the last sentence: Thought SCV already lost their non-profit status and hence the tax exemption. 
Edit: or….. SCV is not allowed to ask for donations but still considered non-profit 🤔

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

As a fan of drum corps I have nothing to add to this subject other than this: We live in a country governed by LAWS..Once made aware of our responsibilities under these laws we either follow them to the letter, bend them to suit our agendas(but still legal) or ignore them altogether...If a law is broken, the offender is expected to pay the penalty regardless of status, wealth etc...So, if an organization is not in compliance with the law and the governing body( State of California) prohibits their continuance until they've paid the penalty and reestablished their credibility, this is not a drum corps issue, but rather a legal one as Jeff Ream has stated several times...It would seem that everything else is moot...I'd like to see SCV on the field in 2024 as would most of us, but unless and until the LEGAL is definitively CLEARED, 2024 competitively has to be on hold...no?

They've received two warning letters and there won't be a third.  If they don't comply the next notification will be from the CA DOJ informing them their non-profit status is suspended.  How long to get to that point I don't know, but I do know it will take the state at least 90 days to examine their back filings.  The fact they announced an intent to field a corps in 2024 and a staff - a good staff - tells me they intend to catch up, or maybe have already submitted their back filings.

If not, well, then they're beyond hope. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Regarding the last sentence: Thought SCV already lost their non-profit status and hence the tax exemption. 

This is how I read it as well - what we don’t know (yet) is if there are, or will be, financial consequences, like a tax bill, for the years that they were  running bingo but not legally a nonprofit 

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I'll be first to distinguish that, to the best of my knowledge, they never lost federal nonprofit status. Search yourself here: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/search-for-tax-exempt-organizations

That is different from adhering to state laws in California for registering your nonprofit to operate and solicit/disburse donations within the state. This just led me to look up their status in Texas, where they regularly operate.  According to this (https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/exempt/verification-letter.php?tp_id=12370734381) they are exempt from some, but not all taxes in that state. Soliciting and disbursing donations are not addressed herein. But now I'm curious....

In a quick search, I could not find them as listed as a charity here: https://www.secctexas.org/search-charities. But perhaps they aren't actively soliciting or disbursing donations in Texas? Or other states? Are all scholarship recipients in CA... where they aren't currently allowed to be disbursing? Always more questions than answers with my house.

But federally, they still have 501c3 status AFAIK.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'll be first to distinguish that, to the best of my knowledge, they never lost federal nonprofit status. Search yourself here: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/search-for-tax-exempt-organizations

That is different from adhering to state laws in California for registering your nonprofit to operate and solicit/disburse donations within the state. This just led me to look up their status in Texas, where they regularly operate.  According to this (https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/exempt/verification-letter.php?tp_id=12370734381) they are exempt from some, but not all taxes in that state. Soliciting and disbursing donations are not addressed herein. But now I'm curious....

In a quick search, I could not find them as listed as a charity here: https://www.secctexas.org/search-charities. But perhaps they aren't actively soliciting or disbursing donations in Texas? Or other states? Are all scholarship recipients in CA... where they aren't currently allowed to be disbursing? Always more questions than answers with my house.

But federally, they still have 501c3 status AFAIK.

Interesting as never knew or thought about federal status, only the home state. But that would make sense in donations across state lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

This post is off topic and needs to removed. Using every tread to promote your agenda needs to be sopped.

It’s very on topic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So when do potential members commit to corps? Sure the process of choosing has already begun in their minds.

As early as this past week.  My son already signed his contract to return to The Cadets.  Only 6 weeks since Indy and my credit card is at it again. Heck, I memorized by CC number after his first DCI season.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Local tip: Spend the extra $25 per ticket and get Genie Plus and avoid staying at Paradise Pier Hotel. 

Oh I’m well covered. And if a dci show is nearby when I’m there I WILL venture off property 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkHornGA said:

From the California AG website:

https://oag.ca.gov/charities/delinquency#:~:text=This includes not being able,and may result in penalties.

“A charitable organization that is not in good standing because it is delinquent may not operate or solicit donations in California. This includes not being able to be listed in solicitations or receive donations through charitable fundraising platforms. If the delinquency is not fixed, the organization’s status will be further changed to Suspended, and/or Revoked and may result in penalties. The Franchise Tax Board will also be notified about the delinquent status and the organization may lose its tax exemption.”

I thought I saw that somewhere