Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

10 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Worse, let’s relive the 80s and 90s.  You get to tour time and the bus company isn’t paid. So no one gets to go on tour.  Or your tractor rentals aren’t paid, so the semis can’t go on tour.

Or worse yet… Suppose they get 30-45 days on the road and it all falls apart.  There’s no money for food. (Oddly This isn’t an uncommon problem in drum corps.. seriously)  

Perhaps they hit Charles city, IA and have to shut down, and then everyone ends up ubering to the podunk airport (should Uber operate there…. or worse… no Uber in bumble**** nowhere) and then everyone just gotta find their way home.  

kids… get a lawyer.  Always get a lawyer when your corps falls apart and leaves you out to dry. (In both literal ways, as well as proverbial) 

Teal Sound and Capitol Regiment come immediately to mind for me.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Where was that said?

Can't speak to others.

Previous CEO stated in a public meeting last year that they never stopped conducting independent audits, however they'd been advised at the time that making them public wasn't best practice. I distinctly remember writing that down.

"Best practices" can be argued here, as I've seen it go both ways. My concern grows when the board treasurer resigns, as they did recently.

Correction is welcome.

22 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Where was that said?

16 hours ago, DSpruce said:

I know stuff about the audits status as well but holding back because I don’t want to be picked apart within an inch of my life. they are fine. They don’t owe random “stakeholders” all that much. The donations being withheld are tiny. 

Sorry, on review I think I overinterpreted their post. At first I took it to mean the audits are fine, but it may have meant VMAPA is fine, which might imply the audits must be fine. Nothing conclusive, clearly, so we still await something more official.

Edited by lawdn

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

Sorry, on review I think I overinterpreted their post.

I am not a subject matter expert, source info is verbal and relayed, and my memory itself is not precise, so highly highly qualified. In terms of root causes, what I have been told is that finance staff were furloughed in 2020 during covid followed by complete turnover, the accounting firm didn’t have staff for a while, the org switched accounting software in the same time frame which caused some compounded delays, and the org later changed accounting firms which requires some time to transition. Because of all this put together the 2019 audit took a long time to finish and they had to update each year in order after that. I believe one is pending and nearly done and I could be wrong about that. When the audits are submitted and there is a backlog for reviews, the status online does not change until the review is actually done. We’re not yet in the green to proactively ask for donations, that should be coming soon. The appropriateness of the website donation buttons have been cleared by lawyers.  I understand they showed all their paperwork to dci. They weren’t allowed to say anything about status until dci was on board with questions answered. The number of interest forms from prospective members have been very high.

Edited by DSpruce
font is different because drafted in Notes app then pasted in
  • Like 2

Excited for Vanguard with this hire - Russ Gavin was very instrumental in helping bring the La Crosse Blue Stars back to the top twelve with Brad Furlano and the Blue Stars board. While this is not the same type of come back situation, it's a come back nevertheless.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DSpruce said:

I am not a subject matter expert, source info is verbal and relayed, and my memory itself is not precise, so highly highly qualified. In terms of root causes, what I have been told is that finance staff were furloughed in 2020 during covid followed by complete turnover, the accounting firm didn’t have staff for a while, the org switched accounting software in the same time frame which caused some compounded delays, and the org later changed accounting firms which requires some time to transition. Because of all this put together the 2019 audit took a long time to finish and they had to update each year in order after that. I believe one is pending and nearly done and I could be wrong about that. When the audits are submitted and there is a backlog for reviews, the status online does not change until the review is actually done. We’re not yet in the green to proactively ask for donations, that should be coming soon. The appropriateness of the website donation buttons have been cleared by lawyers.  I understand they showed all their paperwork to dci. They weren’t allowed to say anything about status until dci was on board with questions answered. The number of interest forms from prospective members have been very high.

Isn’t it a contradiction that you say donations cannot be proactively asked for, but your lawyers have ok’d it by saying your donation buttons have been cleared? So you can’t, but you can?  You also infer DCI is ok with it, but isn’t the ok supposed to come from the state of California?  

Edited by LabMaster

13 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Worse, let’s relive the 80s and 90s.  You get to tour time and the bus company isn’t paid. So no one gets to go on tour.  Or your tractor rentals aren’t paid, so the semis can’t go on tour.

Or worse yet… Suppose they get 30-45 days on the road and it all falls apart.  There’s no money for food. (Oddly This isn’t an uncommon problem in drum corps.. seriously)  

Perhaps they hit Charles city, IA and have to shut down, and then everyone ends up ubering to the podunk airport (should Uber operate there…. or worse… no Uber in bumble**** nowhere) and then everyone just gotta find their way home.  

kids… get a lawyer.  Always get a lawyer when your corps falls apart and leaves you out to dry. (In both literal ways, as well as proverbial) 

or its time to start tour...and CA revokes the NP status or bingo.

23 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

sn’t it a contradiction that you say donations cannot be proactively asked for, but your lawyers have ok’d it by saying your donation buttons have been cleared? So you can’t, but you can?  You also infer DCI is ok with it, but isn’t the ok supposed to come from the state of California?  

No it isn’t. the distinction is what does it mean to proactively ask. Nobody implied (the word is implied, not inferred btw) that DCI ok is the only ok needed.