Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

We could start an over/under of how many SCV threads are closed before the 2024 season starts.  

If that number is above the corps placement in 2024, you get a super cool prize? I'm joking of course, but Wednesday is my "Dealing with dullards on conference calls all day" time and I'm grumpy.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Cainan said:

Beleive it or not, we don't go out of our way to close threads.. quite the opposite actually. You don't see just how much cleaning up of threads we do in an effort to keep them open.

That is a good point.  So often, "cleanup in aisle 5" has already been completed while I was still in aisle 2.

6 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I'm joking of course, but Wednesday is my "Dealing with dullards on conference calls all day" time and I'm grumpy.

Glad almost all of my calls were not video conferences. Then I could make faces, roll my eyes and stick my tongue out during the call. “Favorite” was when a contractor called me a liar on a 20 person call. I calmly explained why I said what I did. Meanwhile I’m giving the finger to the phone. Woman at desk next to me almost fell out of her chair. 😳 Had the last laugh as the contractor was replaced next call.

34 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So in your view Mr. Lesher is engaging in axe grinding. Got it. Can you tell me what is inaccurate in the article linked by fighterkit a few pages back?

Why do YOU assume it's an "axe to grind"?  I noticed that you jumped to that immediately rather than the other option I offered.  That seems telling in and of itself.

35 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

If that number is above the corps placement in 2024, you get a super cool prize? I'm joking of course, but Wednesday is my "Dealing with dullards on conference calls all day" time and I'm grumpy.

I love those...not.  You are just about to leave it and one person starts asking questions that were fully covered.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What would have prevented this from happening?  Transparency from the leadership. Answering questions. Reaching out to alumni instead of alienating them.  Now we shine the bright light on it. It’s generally a very good disinfectant. 

Per my last post in this thread a few days ago, I still think VMAPA is righting the ship and in active resolution with state authorities. Gavin suggests as much. Although I said in my last post that I guessed VMAPA’s lawyers were instructing the org not to make public statements about status, the client still gets to make the decisions and could have required the attorneys to help construct a proactive statement that gave some i formation about how VMAPA was on the road back to good standing with the state.

I personally don’t approve of RL’s actions at the council meeting, but it is understandable and foreseeable. More transparency from VMAPA before this might not have avoided this but it would have kept them in front of the narrative. Instead, they put their new CEO in the position of having his first public responsibility be to defend and explain the organization with information it could have chosen to make public probably any time within the last few months.

I also don’t approve of the attacks on RL. He has longstanding ties to VMAPA and like many of us is a California resident with a right to ask questions about a CA nonprofit’s legal status and a legitimate expectation to get meaningful answers.

But wow - there is so much room for improved behavior in the VMAPA community. I hope there is the humility to take that opportunity.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Exactly.  

Bad news NEVER gets better with age.  Get the ugly out there early, deal with it before it grows and explodes.  

From an organizational perspective, when a parent is researching a corps like SCV that their kid is interested in marching, it must be FAR better for them to learn about the org’s legal status from an organizational press release than from a news story about a public complaint about possible illegal conduct, complete with ugly responses from the org’s community.

This whole thing could be a case study about crisis management taught in a course on organizational and nonprofit management. I am not saying everything about it has been bad, but an exercise in looking at what worked well and what did not could be informative.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Why do YOU assume it's an "axe to grind"?  I noticed that you jumped to that immediately rather than the other option I offered.  That seems telling in and of itself.

Because you have both implied and outright stated multiple times that you think people have "ulterior motives" or "other agendas" for being vocal about the organizations repeated failures. It makes people think what YOUR motives might be, that you can't accept the organization is in the wrong, and needs to face some accountability.