Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

Kids shouldn't be giving Vanguard money at this point unless SCV has set up an escrow account to hold the monies pending a ruling that they are in the clear and can move forward, as an organization. If it's March, and SCV gets a letter that their non-profit status in Cali has been revoked, there won't be enough paper towels in the world to clean up how much doo doo will be in the room.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Kids shouldn't be giving Vanguard money at this point unless SCV has set up an escrow account to hold the monies pending a ruling that they are in the clear and can move forward, as an organization. If it's March, and SCV gets a letter that their non-profit status in Cali has been revoked, there won't be enough paper towels in the world to clean up how much doo doo will be in the room.

The latest DOJ letter says they have 60 days to file all remaining paperwork. I think that still aligns with their projections to complete audits and everything else required. Now we get to take their word that everything will align, or not.

I can't be mad that their name recognition and brand are strong enough to overshadow this. I knew it would be cause that's powerful stuff.

It worked on me too at first.

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

Hey SCV, are you gonna do this Again to your MMs?  How about you stop shuffling around your cronies and start finding some people with competence?  Start with a California- registered CPA. 

That’s my concern.  Not every young person auditioning for these corps is wealthy.  Taking their money and then suspending for the season could really hurt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

💯 agree. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s my concern.  Not every young person auditioning for these corps is wealthy.  Taking their money and then suspending for the season could really hurt. 

I will give credit to Cadets for facing facts & pulling the plug before auditions actually started.   Even if it did take a bit for some of their social media to get the message.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

One thing I teach my students is ‘There is a reason things are what they are’. We might not see what the reason is, and in fact, science strives to determine these reasons, but there are reasons.  

So, the reason SCV can’t get its act together may be incompetence, or it may be some sort of fraud/theft, or something else, or some combination.   

I would hope that SCV has (1) run the numbers to determine the fiscal implications of losing tax-exempt status, & (2) communicated to potential members that there are troubling developments in the fiscal department that may have implications on the 2024 season. 

Finally- a question for those who understand California nonprofit/tax exempt rules:   Can a non tax-exempt organization legally run a bingo operation (albeit having to pay tax on profits)?   Or is bingo restricted to tax-exempt entities?   

of those of us on here that know, i think Richard would know, but he seems hesitant to post here lately

LOLwut. Is the tea too hot?

The letter is available, dated Nov 16, at the online charity registration website. The same place this info has always been pulled from. For the umpteenth time, search for Vanguard/VMAPA under organization name and see document listed as "RCT-451A-S Delinquency Notice - 2nd." Plain as day.

Some of us have justifiable reasons to believe the final word of the governing body over the organization.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The latest DOJ letter says they have 60 days to file all remaining paperwork. I think that still aligns with their projections to complete audits and everything else required. Now we get to take their word that everything will align, or not.

So that takes us to mid January 2024. 
How many times has SCV submitted paperwork that has been sent back for various reasons? How many different BoD members have there been since paperwork was submitted correctly? And how long have they been trying to get their audits together? 
Or perhaps the question is how many long term BoD members are there and do they get involved in this process? IOW possibly clueless but refuse to step away (have seen it elsewhere)

• Like 1