Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

18 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Cadets were also suspended by DCI , but also were listed as a " Member Corps of DCI ".

Seems standard OP . . . DCI bylaws say that if DCI suspends a corps (or, in bylaws language: puts it on probation), then the corps retains its membership status even as it sits out the competitive season. See: Spirit 2022.

But a corps that is not on probation (SCV 23) and does not attend nationals week (SCV 23), loses its membership status automatically, according to the DCI bylaws.

DCI can use sticks and carrots, to be sure. They can march a corps up to its room and make it miss supper until it learns to behave. This is true because the corps themselves have bestowed that ability upon DCI in the first place. None of that, I don't think, should make DCI lie awake at night worrying it might be sued because of the behavior of SCV, or whether SCV is listed as a world class corps on its website.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

17 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Seems standard OP . . . DCI bylaws say that if DCI suspends a corps (or, in bylaws language: puts it on probation), then the corps retains its membership status even as it sits out the competitive season. See: Spirit 2022.

But a corps that is not on probation (SCV 23) and does not attend nationals week (SCV 23), loses its membership status automatically, according to the DCI bylaws.

DCI can use sticks and carrots, to be sure. They can march a corps up to its room and make it miss supper until it learns to behave. This is true because the corps themselves have bestowed that ability upon DCI in the first place. None of that, I don't think, should make DCI lie awake at night worrying it might be sued because of the behavior of SCV, or whether SCV is listed as a world class corps on its website.

I understand what DCI has done ( and not done ) re. SCV so far for the 2024 season.

I might respectfully disagree however that DCI should not concern themselves with the worry they might be sued because of the actions and behaviors one of its member corps.

The reason DCI has historically demanded purges of Corps Mgt, Corps Directors, entire Corps BOD's, suspended and revoked Corps memberships in DCI, and other punitive actions imposed on their member corps is precisely to limit their perceived possibility that some lawyer might future claim they failed in their oversight responsibilities of its member Corps. Thats my take anyway on the reasons that historically DCI Hq and its BOD has not been hesitant to wield considerable power over its member Corps when it suited their institutional purposes.

Edited by Boss Anova

28 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Everyone is typing these long response. Why? SCV is competing in 2024.

1... 2... 3... Richard Lesher to chime in on this assessment.

By the way, for what its worth, I assess that SCV returns to the field next season as well. From SCV reports, SCV has been in constant communication with DCI Hq on what they have been doing of late to make good with the state of California. DCI has not taken any public position contrary to that, so Its safe to say that as of today anyway, SCV is good to go for 2024, with auditions being held as we speak.

Edited by Boss Anova

16 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Whatever. Seems like some on here want barriers up for SCV return....for whatever reasons but they are competing whether some like it or not.

I would phrase it that ‘SCV plans to compete in 2024’.  

If CA DoJ follows through and Tax Board yanks their tax exempt status then all bets are off.  Mid January seems to be the deadline for CA DoJ.  

Insert your theory here as to why SCV is taking so long to get their paperwork in (my personal theory is that CPA doing audit has found things that they are not willing to sign-off on).  

44 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Whatever. Seems like some on here want barriers up for SCV return....for whatever reasons but they are competing whether some like it or not.

Don't make me laugh.

You mean the org with unaddressed, legacy abuse in its past that, now, two consecutive CEOs have minimized? Or do you mean the one with two state regulatory agencies breathing down its neck for noncompliance? Or surely you mean the one with bingo fraud in its past? Or maybe the one with a slew of short term CEOs for decades the last decade? Or high recent BOD turnover and gatekeepers? Or admitted financial mismanagement? Or even the one that claims transparency and to want to learn from its mistakes, but sadly shows only glimmers of actually committing to those things? That org?

Maybe these are why some want barriers or even simple bumper lanes for this org... IDK... 'cause some of us have experienced what happens when mismanagement is afoot at this org, from more than just the member perspective.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Everyone is typing these long response. Why? SCV is competing in 2024.

That’s their plan anyway. But each time the state shoots down their paperwork (again) just makes the time needed to get it together shorter and shorter. 
Any legal experts know the impact of going on tour as a for profit organization? Keeping track of different state taxes on souvenir sales gotta be a headache.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s their plan anyway. But each time the state shoots down their paperwork (again) just makes the time needed to get it together shorter and shorter. 
Any legal experts know the impact of going on tour as a for profit organization? Keeping track of different state taxes on souvenir sales gotta be a headache.

No difference on souvie sales, since if you're in state and selling,  you have nexus. Some states waive the sales tax collection requirement for non profits, some do not, but you have to be up to speed on that end of things in any case.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Cadets were on probation. they were never suspended by DCI unless they didn't change leadership. Pio i believe was suspended unless they changed leadership which they didn't.

oh and technically the corps are DCI