Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I did not know that. 

I would have thought with a multi million dollar budget for 50+ years that they would have invest in themself more. 

This is exactly why my empathy for them is unending. Look at the timeline after JWK leaves alone:

about half a decade of stability with RV, but bingo fraud is exposed

RV, Myron (bedrocks in our community) leave after 2006

a few years with JP, he leaves after 2008 season

JF for almost a decade, but there are skeletons

I think since then we've not kept a director for more than two years, is that right?

They've been enduring challenge after challenge since before I marched. I'm immensely grateful they're still around... and also, I'm still seeing too many red flags. And also feeling bittersweet toward all my fellow alum who endured these challenges and nonetheless fielded powerful shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

not owning means no maintenance costs. insurance is probably less too.

Not necessarily no maintenance costs.  Leases I work with have my company “owning” all maintenance except roof and infrastructure.  I have HVAC, doors, windows, plumbing, fire protection, lighting etc., etc.  still have liability insurance too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

not owning means no maintenance costs. insurance is probably less too.

Between ownership and tenants, it is not hard to know which one make more profit out of a building. 

I don’t know any owner that pay 50 000$/year for maintenance and ask only 25 000$ to the tenant for rental space. 

long term you may have a bit more work but. It is profitable to own the place. 

12 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

is precisely to limit their perceived possibility that some lawyer might future claim they failed in their oversight responsibilities of its member Corps. 

Everything else, I'm with you. But this is where I lose you. If you've got evidence that this is "precisely why," I'm all ears. But I'm not even aware that DCI has "oversight responsibilities" of SCV or any other member. DCI runs a membership organization, not drum corps units. Its members have granted it powers to police the integrity of DCI, but there's no authority that I'm aware of that empowers or even obligates DCI to police the internal affairs of any member.

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Everything else, I'm with you. But this is where I lose you. If you've got evidence that this is "precisely why," I'm all ears. But I'm not even aware that DCI has "oversight responsibilities" of SCV or any other member. DCI runs a membership organization, not drum corps units. Its members have granted it powers to police the integrity of DCI, but there's no authority that I'm aware of that empowers or even obligates DCI to police the internal affairs of any member.

If DCI Hg did not themselves believe they had some degree of oversight responsibilities of its member Corps, and the authority that empowers them to police the internal affairs of any of its member Corps, and at their discretion, then they'd have not been at least a dozen examples  since DCI's founding where DCI Hg has suspended, or put on probation, and even revoked membership of its member Corps... sometimes even without a hearing too. DCI on several occasions has looked at Corps mgt, and DCI BOD has demanded that member Corps terminate their mgt, including even its entire BOD, or suffer revocation of DCI membership. If such Corps  felt the involvement of DCI into their internal affairs was overstepping its authority and/ or was illegal, then such Corps legal counsels could have easily challenged that the DCI BOD had no such legal authority to do so under its charter and by laws. To my knowledge however, no DCI member corps  has challenged any one of the dozen or so instances over the years where DCI  BOD has voted to suspend, put on probation, revoke memberships of its member Corps. DCI BOD has even demanded member Corps  terminate persons in a Corps that DCI BOD did not like and decided  to notify such member Corps of the need to terminate these people,  and as a fundamental requirement not to suffer revocation of their membership in DCI as a result of a DCI BOD vote. DCI BOD has on multiple occasions has even felt their need to look into the accounting records and tax filings of member Corps.  DCI believes it has broad powers to look into the internal affairs of its member Corps whenever it chooses to exercise that authority... and has done so on several occasions.

Edited by Boss Anova

This thread gives me a feeling like we've been here before.  GH had his supporters no matter what and SCV might be getting the same type of support.  Maybe G. Royer's will had a message for DCI.

Edited by TOC

8 hours ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

This is, I kid you not from March 2023 on their website, 

“The Taj Palace offered us the opportunity to run bingo on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings as well as some weekends with special events bingos during holidays when the hall isn’t being used.

Also, very importantly, it will be used on Sunday afternoons and evenings for Corps rehearsals” sorry WHAT CORPS??

They are still dreaming of coming back. There isn’t anybody to take over and do the work. 

while many would like the title (ceo or whatever), not many would actually put the time needed. 

7 hours ago, TOC said:

Maybe G. Royer's will had a message for DCI.

Wut?

9 hours ago, Old Guy said:

They are still dreaming of coming back. There isn’t anybody to take over and do the work. 

while many would like the title (ceo or whatever), not many would actually put the time needed. 

If someone is willing to take over will RB be willing to give up the reins….