Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm choosing to give Santa Clara's Board and Management team the benefit of the doubt.  No, it obviously doesn't look good right now, but the COVID shut down in CA really DID have a negative impact on many business, profit, and non-profit.  I'm hoping their back 990's are submitted soon to avoid a suspension or revocation of their non-profit status.

OTOH....😬.....I have seen "this" movie before.  There once was a national known corps that folded.  Years later, a former director took control of the name in an effort to "restart" the corps.  A 5013c status was obtained and a very-very profitable bingo game was built.  A LOT of cash was coming in but the new corps never materialized.  Occasionally, a small winter guard or drum line was put out but that was it.  The cash coming in was not spent on the product on the field as it should have been.  Where did all the money go.......?  Wellllllllll......

I'm thinking it was a "star" corps that was spun out of a prior year "alumni corps"?

4 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm choosing to give Santa Clara's Board and Management team the benefit of the doubt.  No, it obviously doesn't look good right now, but the COVID shut down in CA really DID have a negative impact on many business, profit, and non-profit.  I'm hoping their back 990's are submitted soon to avoid a suspension or revocation of their non-profit status.

OTOH....😬.....I have seen "this" movie before.  There once was a national known corps that folded.  Years later, a former director took control of the name in an effort to "restart" the corps.  A 5013c status was obtained and a very-very profitable bingo game was built.  A LOT of cash was coming in but the new corps never materialized.  Occasionally, a small winter guard or drum line was put out but that was it.  The cash coming in was not spent on the product on the field as it should have been.  Where did all the money go.......?  Wellllllllll......

Sorry, to disagree but SCV’s BOD has had more than enough time to “right the administrative ship”.

Not really buying the Covid argument either be it fundraising or putting a corps “on the field”. Each and every corps was impacted by the pandemic in multiple ways, but still many corps put a show on the field and not call it in with a video. The video SCV passed off for a “contribution” during Covid cost the organization a lot less than a touring, competing unit. So what happened to the millions the organization made while the object of their efforts took a season off?

This is what I question.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Yeah, no, I just don't think any judge would give much credence to this line of argument. Enforcing matters of membership -- whether SCV's membership requirements wrt DCI are in order and imposing requirements upon them to bring them into order -- is simply not the same thing, as a matter of law, as having managerial responsibility for the operations of the corps wrt to its own marching members and to whatever local and state regulators are relevant.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Perhaps the lawyers among us can clarify.

Plaintiffs Attorney in the current lawsuit on Spirit of Atlanta could have sued just the Spirit of Atlanta if they believed the DCI is just a scheduling of shows organization and what not, and that DCI is not responsible for the behaviors of its member corps.  As mentioned above by me every situation is different, and the court judge ( or Jury, if it goes to a jury trial ) may ultimately decide that DCI is blameless in their oversight responsibility with the DCI member of DCI Spirit of Atlanta in this case. But at the moment however, it appears that the lawyer( s) for the plaintiffs do not share this view in some quarters that “ DCI is not responsible for what it’s member Corps do in illegal behaviors “  . The plaintiff's lawyers have named DCI as a co defendant party in their lawsuit.
  As for SCV , I have no idea what’s up with them other than SCV mgt seems to assess they are good to go for next season and DCI has made no public comments to the contrary that they are not good to go from their reported on going discussions with SCV mgt there .

Edited by Boss Anova

3 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Sorry, to disagree but SCV’s BOD has had more than enough time to “right the administrative ship”.

Not really buying the Covid argument either be it fundraising or putting a corps “on the field”. Each and every corps was impacted by the pandemic in multiple ways, but still many corps put a show on the field and not call it in with a video. The video SCV passed off for a “contribution” during Covid cost the organization a lot less than a touring, competing unit. So what happened to the millions the organization made while the object of their efforts took a season off?

This is what I question.

BD found ways to keep bingo going, like the outdoor game they had

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Plaintiffs Attorney in the current lawsuit on Spirit of Atlanta could have sued just the Spirit of Atlanta if they believed the DCI is just a scheduling of shows organization and what not, and that DCI is not responsible for the behaviors of its member corps.  As mentioned above by me every situation is different, and the court judge ( or Jury, if it goes to a jury trial ) may ultimately decide that DCI is blameless in their oversight responsibility with the DCI member of DCI Spirit of Atlanta in this case. But at the moment however, it appears that the lawyer( s) for the plaintiffs do not share this view in some quarters that “ DCI is not responsible for what it’s member Corps do in illegal behaviors “  . The plaintiff's lawyers have named DCI as a co defendant party in their lawsuit.
  As for SCV , I have no idea what’s up with them other than SCV mgt seems to assess they are good to go for next season and DCI has made no public comments to the contrary that they are not good to go from their reported on going discussions with SCV mgt there .

i believe the case there is DCI was notified prior to the situation going public and did nothing despite the member safety stuff they touted.

i stand by my belief when it comes to finances, outside of Troop n 05, they say little ( Cadets anyone), but on member safety issues, then they speak up. usually. after it blows up online or in the news

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

At 95 or so, I don’t see necessarily that 

not just him. the whole family

15 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

You mean, a program like this?

https://www.scvanguard.org/vmapa_ousd_program/

14 hours ago, denverjohn said:

I'm thinking it was a "star" corps that was spun out of a prior year "alumni corps"?

Star United?