Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

33 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Getting ready for the close of the thread.

And knowing Jeff and his dad for decades, there is a huge difference between being miserable and stating facts no matter how bad they may be. SCV has dug themselves in a huge hole and parts of it are not getting better. I want corps to survive and IMO this is not the way to do it

I was just trying to be fair to both sides, too. Oh well. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

... you have to demonstrate consistently that your environment is safe, not just make rules on paper saying that it is.

One of the most profound lessons I have learned is trust comes from consistent behavior over time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was just trying to be fair to both sides, too. Oh well. 

Thats the problem with people like us who have followed the activity closely for (mumble mumble) number of years. Have seen too much crap go down and too many corps fold. Plus being opened minded enough to know the members of today live in a different environment than we did. So they would want different than what we had.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The latest CEO update indicated that they plan to have the 2022 audit submitted by the end of this year. I think that means the audited financials will be available to the public in January.

As I've always said, even if the finances turn out to be spick and span, I still have safeguarding concerns. Those never went away. And before anyone comes at me with the rest of the safeguarding updates they've already publicized... you have to demonstrate consistently that your environment is safe, not just make rules on paper saying that it is.

Your concerns are not justified. How can they demonstrate consistency that their environment is safe unless they go on tour and implement the safeguarding procedures.   You're not a stakeholder here.  The stakeholders are SCV, marching members, staff, volunteers, parents and donors.   Let them proceed and let's see what happens.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dcifanforlife said:

Your concerns are not justified. How can they demonstrate consistency that their environment is safe unless they go on tour and implement the safeguarding procedures.   You're not a stakeholder here.  The stakeholders are SCV, marching members, staff, volunteers, parents and donors.   Let them proceed and let's see what happens.  

This might be the funniest thing I've read here in a while. 

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I mean, my guard mentor/teacher always said it was a fluke if you can't demonstrate a skill 3 times in a row, confidently. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Had a horn instructor who was on the sarcastic side (his corps nickname was Ogre). Horns would play something just right and he’d say with a sneer “once is luck”. 😈 We’d mutter “love ya too” and then play it right again to “spite” him. 😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, olddrummer34 said:

Care to tell us what those rumors are? Some of you are just so eager to tear down these drum corps. It is exhausting. Go start your own forum where you can talk trash all day long. Just leave the negativity off of here. Seriously. It is getting so old to open a thread and see the same 3 people (Jeff Ream, ShherexadeGhost or whatever) being completely insufferable. You have ruined this place

Psst…. There is a feature called “ignore”. I think that’s what it’s there for.

23 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

They've had decades to demonstrate that their environment is safe and they have only consistently failed on that front. One member this year, another member that year. I have receipts. That was my whole point, so thanks.

Actually, I am a stakeholder: https://www.nonprofitpro.com/post/building-engagement-most-important-stakeholder-individuals-we-serve/

I don't have any way of stopping them, so I'm not sure why you seem to be indicating that I do. But the last time we waited to just "see what happens" there were adverse experiences in both corps so, no thanks. They unwittingly volunteered to have such close public oversight when they stopped registering as a nonprofit between 2020 and 2023. As if the legacy and compounding rumors of abuse weren't enough.

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Had a horn instructor who was on the sarcastic side (his corps nickname was Ogre). Horns would play something just right and he’d say with a sneer “once is luck”. 😈 We’d mutter “love ya too” and then play it right again to “spite” him. 😆

You sure showed him. 😜

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

One of the most profound lessons I have learned is trust comes from consistent behavior over time

And a key part of that is time.  It takes 10 years to get 10 years worth of data.   Unless you accelerate to near-light speed (which brings its own challenges), you can’t speed this up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1