Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What else does DCI have to go on besides what SCV is saying? Only other info is the CA paperwork mess but if SCV says that’s being worked out then DCI is 🤷🏻

in 2005, Troopers did not send to DCI Hg., DCI's request for their taxes filed with the IRS for 3 years. DCI BOD voted to suspend the Corps for the 2006 season for that neglect by the Corps Director at the time to forward those documents to DCI Hg, as well as DCI's demand that Corps Director be replaced there by the Troopers BOD at the time as a mandated condition by DCI in order for the Troopers be considered for the return to the field of competition. ( Troopers subsequently complied with that DCI Hg demand, and was approved for the return to the field of competition for 2007 ) So DCI, at least in the past, has not relied on conversations alone between a member Corps and its DCI Hg.  to take action DCI deems necessary to take.  DCI has even suspended Corps memberships in the past with no known communication between itself and a Corps and/ or Corps Director it has heard complaints about.

But in the current situation with SCV, DCI Hg. seems satisfied at the moment with their reported on going discussions with DCI Hg. that the state tax fillings delinquency is on track to be settled in a manner that satisfies both the state of Calif,  and DCI itself.... and sufficient enough for SCV to hold auditions and prepare for the season of 2024.  What the future holds however is yet to be determined,and with who and what to believe  I suppose subject to current discussion and debate.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

in 2005, Troopers did not send to DCI Hg., DCI's request for their taxes filed with the IRS for 3 years. DCI BOD voted to suspend the Corps for the 2006 season for that neglect by the Corps Director at the time to forward those documents to DCI Hg, as well as DCI's demand that Corps Director be replaced there by the Troopers BOD at the time as a mandated condition by DCI in order for the Troopers be considered for the return to the field of competition. ( Troopers subsequently complied with that DCI Hg demand, and was approved for the return to the field of competition for 2007 ) So DCI, at least in the past, has not relied on conversations alone between a member Corps and its DCI Hg.  to take action DCI deems necessary to take.  DCI has even suspended Corps memberships in the past with no known communication between itself and a Corps and/ or Corps Director it has heard complaints about.

But in the current situation with SCV, DCI Hg. seems satisfied at the moment with their reported on going discussions with DCI Hg. that the state tax fillings delinquency is on track to be settled in a manner that satisfies both the state of Calif,  and DCI itself.... and sufficient enough for SCV to hold auditions and prepare for the season of 2024.  What the future holds however is yet to be determined,and with who and what to believe  I suppose subject to current discussion and debate.

Ok I didn’t know (or forgot) what DCI requested from the Troopers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

What else does DCI have to go on besides what SCV is saying? Only other info is the CA paperwork mess but if SCV says that’s being worked out then DCI is 🤷🏻

I think it is safe to assume one can take the California Department of Justice literally over anything SCV says. 

Also............. in regard to the Troopers. 

This is how lazy DCI is: 

By default the IRS will terminate an organization's nonprofit status when they do not file taxes three years in a row. It's not a complicated process. POOF!!!!!!!!!! done deal at the Federal level. SCV was one year away from than happening, and probably would have been oblivious to that as well had attention not been drawn to them. 

6 hours ago, mjoakes said:

This is all so exhausting. (And as I noted earlier, there might be some unhealthy levels of obsession on display.) But I can't stop coming back to the thread. How unhealthy is that?

It is exhausting and I have no idea how this is going to play out 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I believe however last season SCV was not in regular discussions with DCI Hq. . I believe Dan A at DCI  was not aware that SCV was registering SCV applicants for auditions and when SCV announced they would be taking this past season off , he and the others at DCI seemed blindsided by that . 
   The difference here however insofar as both SCV and DCI is concerned , SCV in their press release in the fall specifically mentioned that they have been working alongside DCI to get their financials in order . Absent any new update from DCI in a press release , it has to be assumed that as far as DCI Hq. Is concerned , SCV is currently doing what needs to be done to rectify things sufficient enough to make it out to the field again next summer .  Thats my sense anyway . Now , on the other hand , if SCV replicates last season’s fiasco , then my guess , SCV is likely finished for good , as I can’t imagine DCI putting up with any repeat of that ..

so then they admiited to dan A or the new guy now that they've been non comliant with the state for 3 years? given the clearly stated timelines CA has posted, that DCi allows SCV to claim anything for the summer shows they are falling down on the job too. 

it's clear massive financial dysfunction is ok to the DCI Board. they may crack down (when a gun is held to their heads or a bad news article comes out) on member safety, but financial non compliance with State laws is ok. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

so then they admiited to dan A or the new guy now that they've been non comliant with the state for 3 years? given the clearly stated timelines CA has posted, that DCi allows SCV to claim anything for the summer shows they are falling down on the job too. 

it's clear massive financial dysfunction is ok to the DCI Board. they may crack down (when a gun is held to their heads or a bad news article comes out) on member safety, but financial non compliance with State laws is ok. 

Maybe . I wish I knew more about DCi reported involvement according to SCV recent press releases and what they knew and when they knew . DCI will have a lot of “ splainin “ to do if ScV does not make it to the field next summer . On the other hand if they do , some posters on here that spent a lot of man hours  on the SCV situation , won’t have a hell of a lot to show for it in the end if SCV returns .  It’s interesting to watch this all unfold if nothing else , as there really is not much else of interest to talk about this off season , imo 

Edited by Boss Anova

6 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

. On the other hand if they do , some posters on here that spent a lot of man hours  on the SCV situation , won’t have a hell of a lot to show for it in the end if SCV returns

There are no winners here. People criticizing VMAPA don't win if SCV folds. Similarly, members, staff, and alumni don't win if they make it to the field without the necessary cultural and operational changes. As for there being nothing of interest to discuss, every time there is more information from the DOJ, or the 990s, without clear explanation from VMAPA, there is more to discuss. They SHOULD be hit hard with criticism when they make the choice to remain intransigent. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s like watching a train wreck.  You can’t take your eyes off of it. 

Or the Kardashians. Though finally, after what, 10 years of that nonsense, people are at least turning their weird attentions to Taylor and Travis. 

• Haha 4