Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

3 hours ago, TOC said:

Ahhh, the old catch all by many activities, towns, cities, states, nations, etc.

I hope I’m not detecting a dry sense of “oh that wasn’t real”….I lost a friend of mine to C19 at the very front end of it; 5 days from hospital admission to his passing (his son went on to march Pacific Crest.) My son and I could not be in the same hospital room as my grandmother due to C19 protocols in place as she passed from a head injury she incurred when she fell; we had to get her through the triage hospital tents set up in the parking lot just to get her in there.  

Edited by TRacer
Grammer

40 minutes ago, TRacer said:

I hope I’m not detecting a dry sense of “oh that wasn’t real”….I lost a friend of mine to C19 at the very front end of it; 5 days from hospital admission to his passing (his son went on to march Pacific Crest.) My son and I could not be in the same hospital room as my grandmother due to C19 protocols in place as she passed from a head injury she incurred when she fell; we had to get her through the triage hospital tents set up in the parking lot just to get her in there. 

4 hours ago, TOC said:

Ahhh, the old catch all by many activities, towns, cities, states, nations, etc.

One of the toughest aspects of this situation is that both can be/are true (not denying @TRacer's exp).

How do we maintain our compassion while also pursuing accountability?

2 hours ago, TRacer said:

I hear you, I lost my oldest brother to complications of C19. Many of us lost loved ones to “The Scourge” but even in the middle of all this, several corps took that time to rebuild and continue BAU in the new normal. Unfortunately, VMAPA did not do so. They have a lot of ground to make up due to mismanagement. I hope they are able to overcome this but I’m not convinced the BOD in its current configuration is up to the task. VMAPA, please prove me wrong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I hear you, I lost my oldest brother to complications of C19. Many of us lost loved ones to “The Scourge” but even in the middle of all this, several corps took that time to rebuild and continue BAU in the new normal. Unfortunately, VMAPA did not do so. They have a lot of ground to make up due to mismanagement. I hope they are able to overcome this but I’m not convinced the BOD in its current configuration is up to the task. VMAPA, please prove me wrong.

I’m so sorry about your brother. 🙏

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah, the old “accounting software update” excuse. I have a secret:  it’s not the software’s fault. It’s the user who doesn’t understand how to use it

I have no knowledge of what happened in SCV's case, but I have personally witnessed botched migrations between accounting software because data import/export tools didn't work as anticipated, or because data mapping was completed incorrectly by the 3rd party supplier of the new software.  

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

they were already in the hole when Covid hit. and had no plan during for after...or after at all

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TRacer said:

That's not what I am reading at all. 

Covid was real, its effects were real, but it has been 4 years since the initial outbreak, and MANY other entities with fewer resources than VMAPA have been able to navigate it and recover in the meantime. 

• Bingo is reopen, right?
  • They got PPP loans, right?
  • Those loans were forgiven, right?
  • Accounting is still something that can largely happen remotely.....right??

Covid is no longer a viable excuse for being dysfunctional. Unfortunately many organizations (like VMAPA) still use it as a get out of jail free card to distract from their incompetence. 

The issue isn't Covid, it's that the organization is run by arrogant morons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

13 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

I have no knowledge of what happened in SCV's case, but I have personally witnessed botched migrations between accounting software because data import/export tools didn't work as anticipated, or because data mapping was completed incorrectly by the 3rd party supplier of the new software.  

And so have I. That’s why I made that comment. One can blame it on the supplier, or IT, or incompatibility of systems, or whatever else one wants to blame it on. But in the end it is your system, you decided to do the upgrade. You didn’t get intimately involved as you should have to work out the kinks.   Take personal responsibility and fix it. That’s my point. 

• Like 3