Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

On a different note:

Glynis Johns, a Tony Award-winning stage and screen star who played the mother opposite Julie Andrews in the classic movie "Mary Poppins" and introduced the world to the bittersweet standard-to-be "Send in the Clowns" by Stephen Sondheim, has died. She was 100.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

On a different note:

Glynis Johns, a Tony Award-winning stage and screen star who played the mother opposite Julie Andrews in the classic movie "Mary Poppins" and introduced the world to the bittersweet standard-to-be "Send in the Clowns" by Stephen Sondheim, has died. She was 100.

Thank you. I only really realize now that my favorite rendition by Dame Judi Dench was always a very respectful version of Johns's. So angry. I love it. RIP.

• Thanks 1

R.I.P. Ms Glynis

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

On a different note:

I loved her in Mary Poppins.  I remember her singing “Sister Suffragette”.   Very inspiring for a certain little girl. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm guessing 3 years is too long now

I was finding nonprofits that were last current in 2018 and still classified as delinquent, so I'm not sure exactly what is "too long" at this point.  It does seem like the DOJ significantly stepped up their efforts to bring organizations into compliance over the past year.  Similar to SCV, most of the delinquent orgs I looked at have received multiple mailings/notices this year.  Prior to this year, most hadn't received any communication regarding their delinquency.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:00 PM, rjohn76 said:

I was finding nonprofits that were last current in 2018 and still classified as delinquent, so I'm not sure exactly what is "too long" at this point.  It does seem like the DOJ significantly stepped up their efforts to bring organizations into compliance over the past year.  Similar to SCV, most of the delinquent orgs I looked at have received multiple mailings/notices this year.  Prior to this year, most hadn't received any communication regarding their delinquency.

Can confirm this mostly. There are two classifications in the registry that contain "cease and desist" and I feel confident saying that all relevant statuses preceding that imply that a noncompliant org can reach out to the DOJ and its various recommended resources to rectify said statuses. The question remains why wasn't this done (on the record at least) prior to October 2023? Especially when we went public about the delinquency in April. And for just me... were the extensions to file submitted to just the federal government or to the state as well? Leadership has only half-answered that question at this time. Knowing how they got us here is a big part of prevention.

I can also confirm that, from perusing both cease and desist status orgs, most either never registered at all or hadn't registered since roughly 2018. There are hundreds of pages of orgs under the revoked status, again, dating back to the 00s so there's no real way to know what recent DOJ efforts look like comparatively.

I cannot speak to the DOJ stepping up its efforts, even though I'd hope that's likely. Again, there's no press to confirm this so everything we're guessing at here is just a guess. Most press, again, refers to money fundraised under delinquency statuses, or warnings against donating to delinquent orgs: https://www.pasadenanow.com/weekendr/amidst-holidays-attorney-general-bonta-shares-tips-on-avoiding-scams-and-ensuring-safe-donations/

Also, as I've indicated to the alumni, the DOJ shouldn't have to communicate about delinquencies for orgs to address them when the online system exists. And I've read its not uncommon for loyal donors and stakeholders to be the first to notify their beloved orgs of delinquency status. SCV Boosters/VMAPA had been compliant since the start of the registry up until 2020. So again, what happened AND what has accountability looked like AND how do we prevent this in the future?

BTW, the Feeding Vanguard Forever campaign webpage is gone and I'd like to know where that money is, as they're not technically allowed to have solicited or distributed it. If that was handled incorrectly over the last several years at VMAPA, then they're potentially looking at fines. Edit to add: I'm in the alumni doghouse again for this last paragraph. Edit to add again: Confirmed that FVF funds are being held, not distributed. 👍🏽

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

my hunch is the biggest dogs get targeted first

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

my hunch is the biggest dogs get targeted first

Bingo!

If there's taxes owed on those millions...they'll come.

4 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Bingo!

If there's taxes owed on those millions...they'll come.

i worked in collections for a while. those $25 bills...yeah only when you ran out of other files to work were they to be called. Once every 6 weeks or so we'd do a saturday Ot if you wanted it day and then we'd work through the small accounts for a few hours to just to cull the herd