Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

11 hours ago, ironlips said:

Connect the dots.

Ok.

Were I a responsible State employee charged with making sure businesses (including non-profits) are following the letter of the law and submitting forms needed to make sure they were operating within the law, and I saw that a multi-million dollar business had completely failed to do so for a number of years, and had continued generating revenue that was not accounted for to the state or federal authorities, and that I had the ability to use the law to capture funds that were generated without legal license to do so - I'd say "y'know what? Life is hard, but the law is the law" and start a process to get whatever the State can reasonably expect to get via penalties and business income tax.

Not to do so would constitute failing at my job. The job isn't to be nice.

It's not like the State got the forms and didn't process them in time. They never got the forms. It's a very short line that connects that fact to Vanguard's leadership, who chose to spend stupid money on designers (insanely stupid money, in their case), but decided not to pay for some competent fiscal managers to run their office.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ironlips said:

Just for context:

The State of CA announced a huge (as in many billions) budget deficit a couple of days ago.

Connect the dots.

fines fill the coffers

• Like 1

For the record, I very much wish for SCV to return, and return strong. After all, I am a former staff member and still feel a deep connection to the folks I worked with and great affection for my former students.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, ironlips said:

For the record, I very much wish for SCV to return, and return strong. After all, I am a former staff member and still feel a deep connection to the folks I worked with and great affection for my former students.

I don't think anyone wishes them ill, they only wish them better: better leadership, better ethics, better sense of doing right by their community and their state, better sense of caring more about running a spotless business than chasing a f____ng DCI title.

We all want them to care enough about doing the drum corps thing right - ALL of it.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I don't think anyone wishes them ill, they only wish them better: better leadership, better ethics, better sense of doing right by their community and their state, better sense of caring more about running a spotless business than chasing a f____ng DCI title.

We all want them to care enough about doing this goddam thing right - ALL of it.

... I'll add a better sense of compassion and camaraderie for those of us alum who endured abuse. The term survivor-centric comes to mind. (Just teasing apart the ethics component of your comment.)

Until my contact with the outgoing VAA president and current CEO, my interactions across the org were awkward at best, but included harassment and threats at worst. Others report institutional retaliation and being accosted. Indeed the alum, and by extension the org, still seem to want to praise past abusers than do the reflective work necessary to welcome victims back into the fold.

We are good to them up until the point that we report bad behavior. After that, historically, we become less than nothing. Classy.

The younger alum and future alum deserve better, even if it's too late for me and those like me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lance said:

lol

ok so name names. you made the accusation

• Thanks 3

Just read this in the latest e-newsletter:

I am happy to share that we have submitted our outstanding financial audits to the state of California. Specifically, we submitted our required audits for the 2021 and 2022 fiscal years. We became a fully compliant entity upon the submission of these reports, and that status is currently represented on the appropriate state websites. At this point, we have completed 3 years of audits (2020, 2021, 2022) over the last 6 months, and we are beginning work on the 2023 filings to ensure those are submitted in a timely manner. We are also installing processes and safeguards to ensure these issues never happen again.

It is a good thing to be current on these issues. With that being said, we are not an organization that seeks to simply clear the low bar of compliance. I will continue to provide updates on the things we are doing to improve our organizational efficiency as decisions are made. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic news!  Thanks for sharing. 

Stanford people can be annoying but they know what they're doing. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
word change
  • Like 1