19 Sep SCV Meeting Summary on Reddit

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

They still get souvie sales existing and if they do parades and such can also make more there. Once they are non profit again they can accept the donations. If the model says they can tour financially and not go bankrupt then it's good to go. I'm sure financial analysis have been ran over and over to make sure it's feasible. 

They can accept donations now, but the donor cannot receive any tax deduction. Something like 87% of Americans take the standard deduction, so, for that group, being able to deduct donations is not important. 

2 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

SCV did not lose their membership status because they did not participate in 2023.  All the membership requirements where changed in 2020 because of Covid. They will receive appearance fees just like all member corps.  They do have to pick last when selecting what shows they want to be in.  Mandarins have made it known that they want to be at more of  the big shows (Broken Arrow, Murfreesboro, Atlanta and Winston Salem)  so don't expect to  see SCV at any of those shows.   Yes they should be the first world class corps to perform at shows unless deals are cut with other corps.   They are still a voting member.  Everyone has to wait until September meeting to sort out everything.

Repost:

DCI Bylaws

Section 6 - Actions on membership status - Termination
Membership is automatically terminated in the event a Member corps does not compete at the Drum Corps International World Championship during the year of Membership, unless that failure to compete is due to a probationary status.

(Maybe I missed it, but DCI never put Santa Clara on probation. In its Dec. 12, 2022 press release, DCI said only that SCV "will opt-out of the 2023 Drum Corps International Tour." Not a word about probation.)

Section 5 - Responsibilities and benefits of membership
B. Voting for changes in membership status, including granting Membership to organizations... 

Section 2 - Eligibility for Membership
Membership in Drum Corps International is available to competitive drum corps that:
A. Participate in the DCI Summer Tour and at the DCI World Championships
C. Have been approved for Membership by a majority vote of the current membership

Seems pretty black-and-white to me: SCV will need to pitch its case for membership to the current members of DCI.

These are the bylaws. They are still in effect; they are currently posted at the DCI website. 

SCV missed the 2023 season -- two years after the COVID exhibition year. Can't see how any COVID exceptions (which, again, are not indicated in the bylaws) would apply. 

By the plain text of these bylaws, SCV is not, and cannot be, a member of DCI until the current membership votes them in. I fully expect that to happen in due course, but until then, they enjoy none of the benefits -- schedule, financial, etc. -- of DCI membership. They are an independent.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

Inglorious Basterds. Tarantino... and content warning for extreme violence if you need such a reminder that that's how that director rolls.

Thanks I should have googled before I asked. Saw it on tv and just don’t remember the scene. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

continuing to place survival solely on bingo isn’t enough 

Don’t forget one of the plans to help build up the money shortfall was…. More bingo games 😫

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Agreed. 

600k is not a lot. Yes they will get more with member fees. But the fact of the matter is that they're a Cali corps and have to travel further. Gas will probably be 150-200k of costs alone. 

That 600k will be stretched thin, especially considering member fees cover very little when it comes to the actual cost for the member itself. 

I worry that SCV will approach this season like they are still a top 4 drum corps and spend way beyond their means and run out of money halfway through the season. 

What are member fees all in, tour fee, camp fee, audition charge? $5500, $6000, more? $5500 x 165 members is over $900K Member fees cover the majority of the cost to move a drum corps down the road. 

I do not know what their audition fee is, but let's say it $100. 400 kids auditioning who do not make the corps brings in another $40K. 

Edited by mcjordansc

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thanks I should have googled before I asked. Saw it on tv and just don’t remember the scene. 

That actor's work is exceptional and worth enduring the violence for most people. I personally prefer him the movie "Carnage," which is not violent at all, but Inglorious Basterds is alright.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

What are member fees all in, tour fee, camp fee, audition charge? $5500, $6000, more? $5500 x 165 members is over $900K Member fees cover the majority of the cost to move a drum corps down the road. 

Some of that has to go to funding bingo. It can't all go directly to corps operations AFAIK. Budget for bingo can get pretty high.

3 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

I do not know what their audition fee is, but let's say it $100. 400 kids auditioning who do not make the corps brings in another $40K. 

When I marched my first season with Boston, (the only season I paid full tuition), the total fees were tuition + camp. So 5500 total. 

Returning members got a discount so assuming all kids pay the total yes it ends up being a lot of money. But talking to our BOD (as well as a fellow top 12 corps accidentally posting their cost breakdown), it cost roughly 11-15k to take one kid on the road. That is if you take the basic necessities (food, gas, housing, and vehicles) and divide by 170 kids 

• Like 2

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

Some of that has to go to funding bingo. It can't all go directly to corps operations AFAIK. Budget for bingo can get pretty high.

I am not trying to dig into how they account for everything. Moving money back and forth to accommodate California tax law is all back office stuff. The bottom line is member dues and other fees make up a substantial portion of the cost of going out each summer.