California transportation issue

This could go in all sorts of political directions, but because it does affect at least the California corps, it is a relevant topic.

I read an article earlier this week that mentioned as of 12/31/23, any new semi tractor sold in California must be electric. Existing inventory can be used but when replaced would need to be EV. The costs for these are much higher than for diesel trucks, with many smaller trucking firms opting to go out of business. Whether a corps owns their own semi, or leases, the costs would go much higher either way. (Side note- depending on how California corps procure drivers, if a number of California truckers sell their rigs but still have a valid CDL, there may be a larger pool of California-based truckers available to drive corps semis cross country if the price for their driving services is agreeable).

This does not take into account the distance a fully charged, loaded truck could travel, nor the time involved in charging, nor availability of chargers for Semis in Ogden, UT, Allentown, PA, Hattiesburg, MS , and other places.

Note- the article was about semi tractors. I do not know if California has passed any rules regarding busses. If there is a parallel law or effort in California to mandate EV busses, that would also apply.

Edited by wolfgang

7 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

This could go in all sorts of political directions,

C'mon, what are the odds of that happening here? 

Which is why my only reply is, those are some very interesting questions. 

• Haha 1

As I read the EV semi can only go around 250 miles without a recharge and that recharge takes around 1.5 hours. Not to mention the lack of infrastructure available to recharge at this time. It will certainly limit the touring capability of a corps. And the initial cost will be quite expensive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wolfgang said:

This could go in all sorts of political directions, but because it does affect at least the California corps, it is a relevant topic.

I read an article earlier this week that mentioned as of 12/31/23, any new semi tractor sold in California must be electric. Existing inventory can be used but when replaced would need to be EV. The costs for these are much higher than for diesel trucks, with many smaller trucking firms opting to go out of business. Whether a corps owns their own semi, or leases, the costs would go much higher either way. (Side note- depending on how California corps procure drivers, if a number of California truckers sell their rigs but still have a valid CDL, there may be a larger pool of California-based truckers available to drive corps semis cross country if the price for their driving services is agreeable).

This does not take into account the distance a fully charged, loaded truck could travel, nor the time involved in charging, nor availability of chargers for Semis in Ogden, UT, Allentown, PA, Hattiesburg, MS , and other places.

Note- the article was about semi tractors. I do not know if California has passed any rules regarding busses. If there is a parallel law or effort in California to mandate EV busses, that would also apply.

Cali is the dumbest state in the nation. Good lord, what a disaster.

• Like 3

@wolfgang Could you please provide a source? I am reading that manufacturers of commercial trucks are required to begin offering EV trucks in CA in 2024 but there is a transition during which the required percentage of EVs increases, to 100% in 2045. 
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128652_california-mandate-electric-trucks-all-ev-by-2045

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/31/climate/california-electric-trucks-emissions.html

Edited by lawdn
  • Thanks 2

Good to see California being a small part of a holistic solution to a problem we will all have to reckon with sooner rather than later.

And here's hoping that technology continues to improve to lessen the impact of infrastructure requirements and to reduce costs. Solar energy was once cost prohibitive but is now cost effective. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, lawdn said:

@wolfgang Could you please provide a source? I am reading that manufacturers of commercial trucks are required to begin offering EV trucks in CA in 2024 but there is a transition during which the required percentage of EVs increases, to 100% in 2045. 
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128652_california-mandate-electric-trucks-all-ev-by-2045

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/31/climate/california-electric-trucks-emissions.html

Yup; more lies & false information.  Maybe he can share some of the latest conspiracy theories? 😂 

• Like 1