The Thing

I was on From the Pressbox over the weekend looking up some old scores from the early 70's and I noticed a corp call The Thing. So I had to look that up and I guess it was two corps that merged and they could not decide on a new name so a temporary name would be The Thing. You learn something once in awhile.

St. Patrick Imperials from Milwaukee (black, white and emerald green unis)  merged with the Cedarburg Thunderbolts (red white, and blue unis) needless to say, they were quite an interesting color combination. They were a blast to watch though.

IIRC, Pioneer rose out of that merger. 

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I was on From the Pressbox over the weekend looking up some old scores from the early 70's and I noticed a corp call The Thing. So I had to look that up and I guess it was two corps that merged and they could not decide on a new name so a temporary name would be The Thing. You learn something once in awhile.

I wonder how they settled on “ The Thing “ for the Corps name .
   Maybe at a meeting a board member said. “ We need to have on the agenda a proposal to name the thing “. Hands all went up and that was that .😊

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I wonder how they settled on “ The Thing “ for the Corps name .
   Maybe at a meeting a board member said. “ We need to have on the agenda a proposal to name the thing “. Hands all went up and that was that .😊

It was borrowed from the name VW gave to a new vehicle just a year or so before - The VW Thing

VW-Thing.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=1140&h=&

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

It was borrowed from the name VW gave to a new vehicle just a year or so before - The VW Thing

I used to see one of these things sit in the town we held spring training at

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Had a buddy in HS who had one. He had "Das Killer Kibble Vagon" pained on the side. I drove a 73' Super Beetle back then. 

Saw them at the AI in 1973 (?).  Can't find their repertoire but if I remember correctly their OTL was a play on the car theme, complete with cymbal "flashing headlights".  Very fun, entertaining, and good too.