Cadets Suspend for 2024

Now it's just going to be brain dead takes on why electronics and props are the ruin of drum corps. 

• Like 2

This is going to sound horrible, but I am glad it was finances rather than some accusations of abuse or sexual misconduct that shut them down. Financial issues may be tough to recover from. But abuse and such hurt everyone in DCI for long periods of time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Were audition fees for the 2024 season taken?

Likely for camp auditions.   A lot of members were auto contracted for 2024, which the Cadets rarely/never do.  For those who were auto contracted, the first payment was due Nov 15th.  My son and I elected to wait to pay that deposit.  Why?  No real reason, but i guess it was worth waiting, although I'm certain we would have received a refund.  

• Thanks 1

How does alumni not get an “urgent assistance” email or this not made a “dire situation” in advance when there was ample time for a remote possibility?! As a corporate exec myself, ALL of the top is to blame and heads should roll. What an embarrassing #### show.

As an alumni, I’m heartbroken and furious at the same time how this was so mismanaged and communicated. Had any of us alumni known the actual current state, we could have, would have, made a difference. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

A friend of mine who started a drum corps in the 90’s that is still in existence (and whose mission is dedicated to being community-centric) and I have been texting back & forth this evening….his take is, “There will always be a drum corps whose leadership has their head up their financial ###.” A frank assessment. 

That is two corps with 17 championships between them going inactive within two years. 

To all my friends who marched/taught/volunteered with The Cadets.

When I first got into this activity I saw Cadets 2015. And to me that was the epitome of drum corps. I had always wanted to be them and I absorbed so much media related to them. I fell in love with them and the way they did things. 
I fell in love with Cadets 2000, one of my favorite shows of all time. I spent literal hours talking to my tech who marched that show. (I have probably consumed every piece of media that is public for that show too.)

My heart goes out to every Cadet that has lost their home for 24. I am so sorry that this happened to y'all. My heart is heavy with the news and my eyes are full. It hurts so much to see this announcement. 
I cannot imagine a season without the Cadets. And I wish for a speedy return.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Were audition fees for the 2024 season taken?

Not only we’re audition fees taken but audition packets fees and even some contracts were emailed out….

sad day for the activity…

• Sad 1

My favorite corps. I considered auditioning for Cadets after watching their 2015 show in college, but I was actually terrified of them. I mean that as a compliment. They just seemed THAT good to me. They had such a seriousness to them unlike anyone else. After reading/watching a lot of history from them, that’s just who they are. True professional craftsmen of the art. This ordeal has added a lot to my guilt of never marching. Who knows if they’ll ever be back. I will always wish I could have been a part of such a historic, unique and unmistakable corps. I really hope they can come back.