Cadets GoFundMe

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

so careful with the sanctimony

How is asking about the reality of them having consistent operating revenue sources sanctimonious? And what other corps are doing has nothing to do with Cadets. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

doesn't mean i won't ask questions if i am going to give money. 

Good. Wise donors ask questions and place restrictions on their donations in good times. It only makes sense to ask questions in challenging times as well. It's kinda how nonprofit stakeholder responsibility works. This isn't trashing some poor, defenseless organization. It's non profit donor responsibility 101. If drum corps don't know and can't handle that, then they have more than just financial problems to contend with.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I agree. GoFundMe is meant to raise money for emergency situations like funeral expenses from a sudden death or medical bills ect. Not as a form of fundraising. That you can donate directly to the corp. Lots of scams using GoFundMe so I would never do this for drumcorp.

I’ve seen some gofundme accounts that were real head scratchers. “Donate to me, a middle aged person, so I can participate in alumni corps.”.  Uhhhh no. 

I donated to the Cadets general fund when I donated and when I sponsored kids, I gave the money to the corps for their fees. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith Hall said:

If one tries this so will the rest. Do you think there is enough interest to save them all? The screwed up their finances. Besides that, all of the people who hate props, electronics, massive staff, etc.......who will support? Just saying

"One" isn't trying this, this isn't being run by The Cadets, it's being run by a well meaning corps member. I personally won't donate through GoFundMe, but will continue to donate to the corps.

And "this" is just... soliciting donations, in which case, yes I believe that all corps will solicit donations as a significant portion of their revenue generation.

"All" of the people don't hate the things you list, if someone hates all of those things enough to not donate to the org then I think that's sad, I don't care for props and electronics but I still believe drum corps is a worthwhile activity to support because the entertainment factor is secondary, but it's your money so do whatever you want.

• Like 1

I'd hold off on doing anything in terms of financial support until the organization is able to be completely transparent about the situation they're in. Something about the decision seems to be more complex than just running a deficit this past summer, and until everything is out on the table, it would be smart to keep the powder dry.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm far more willing to give Cadets the benefit of the doubt and a few bucks. while not giving all of the details, they have been far more transparent than SCV and that we know of they have no legal issues that need resolved with any government entities. 

doesn't mean i won't ask questions if i am going to give money. 

COMPLETELY agree with you, and you've made the point about Cadets' transparency so other people should take note.

Example: 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Gantang said:

How is asking about the reality of them having consistent operating revenue sources sanctimonious? And what other corps are doing has nothing to do with Cadets. 

Cadets have been more than transparent over the past few years about where their donations have been going. Just this year, they've disclosed a lot of that information. Perhaps if you leave your feelings at the door and go to their website, you'd have seen that. But I get it is more fashionable to kick a corps when they're already down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Good. Wise donors ask questions and place restrictions on their donations in good times. It only makes sense to ask questions in challenging times as well. It's kinda how nonprofit stakeholder responsibility works. This isn't trashing some poor, defenseless organization. It's non profit donor responsibility 101. If drum corps don't know and can't handle that, then they have more than just financial problems to contend with.

25 years ago, to help try and save my old corps, i asked questions, got what seemed like good answers and willingly paid off a few bills for the corps. 2 months later i was forwarded an email where admin bragged how they suckered me in to pay some bills while they pursued other stupid things that wouldn't help the corps in the long run.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

25 years ago, to help try and save my old corps, i asked questions, got what seemed like good answers and willingly paid off a few bills for the corps. 2 months later i was forwarded an email where admin bragged how they suckered me in to pay some bills while they pursued other stupid things that wouldn't help the corps in the long run.

And those of us that have been mislead in the past have no reason to afford trust to these organizations suddenly now. Not with out the meeting rigorous transparency standards... consistently. If folks want to be mad about that, I guess they can be, but such a response only serves to continue to diminish the pool of potential allies moving forward.

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

COMPLETELY agree with you, and you've made the point about Cadets' transparency so other people should take note.

Example: 

giphy.gif

Cadets have been more than transparent over the past few years about where their donations have been going. Just this year, they've disclosed a lot of that information. Perhaps if you leave your feelings at the door and go to their website, you'd have seen that. But I get it is more fashionable to kick a corps when they're already down. 

Hasn't that become fashionable? All you have to do is turn on the TV to cable opinion shows to see world class Yentas who make a living out of negativity on every level. Real or Faux. Always the pearl clutchers. 

• Like 3