Real ideas for sustainability & revenue

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

One word to fix all revenue problems:

SWIFTIES!!!!! 

It's working for the NFL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2023 at 11:09 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there. I was in nonprofit development for a stint. My whole job was securing corporate sponsors. It's not a pipe dream. NPs rely on corporate sponsors just as much as they do grants. Just checked the aforementioned previous employer and their top tier of donors, who give $10k or more give them no less than $180k each year. According to the latest available SCV numbers, that's half the tour food budget right there.

But this is why I've been harping in other threads on demonstrating value (or ROI in nonprofit speak,) 'cause in that way, you're correct. But it doesn't come down to people knowing and understanding drum corps entirely. If you can prove that your website and your live events pull in enough eyeballs, you can secure small corporate donors. It'd be a silly strategy for anyone to go for the billion dollar companies. LOL VMAPA was criticized (after attempts, AFAIK) for going to the Googles, Metas, and other giants in Silicon Valley and being rejected. That's just silly. You go for the smaller companies first, just like grants. You have to prove to them your worth, consistently over time, and then the big hitters will begin to trust you.

But again, NPs rely on corporate sponsors all day every day. It's not a pipe dream. There just doesn't seem to be many in the drum corps world who know what they're doing in this regard. It's not rocket science though.

Yup. Houston Ballet was able to get Annheiser Bush sponsoring while it performed in a building that had a service agreement to sell only Miller Coors products.  

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Looks like a way bigger budget there, but the point stands.

Our budget was large. But we also have a venue to run, dancers to care for (and pay), apprentices to train, studios to operate, classes that were taught, community engagement that happened regularly, free concerts in the park, studio company to send on tours, technical and design staff to pay, stage and production mangers to pay, warehouses to operate for scenic storage and rental …  

it’s a large org, engrained in the local community.  My point was more about if you have a great development team, you can make things happen that technically shouldn’t. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Our budget was large. But we also have a venue to run, dancers to care for (and pay), apprentices to train, studios to operate, classes that were taught, community engagement that happened regularly, free concerts in the park, studio company to send on tours, technical and design staff to pay, stage and production mangers to pay, warehouses to operate for scenic storage and rental …  

it’s a large org, engrained in the local community.  My point was more about if you have a great development team, you can make things happen that technically shouldn’t. 

100%. Your budget is/was bigger than any of the arts nps I've worked for. But that said, mine were comparable in budget size to drum corps and we still had development teams (2 people at most - development and grants) who maintained serious revenue streams.

The biggest key in your statement above to me is the "engrained in the local community." The largest org I worked for was starting to slip on that and rather than it affecting the revenue directly, it did so indirectly as housing costs rose and partnerships with service providers declined. Their work was inherently international with a yearly local festival.

DCI is similar in that its work is across regions with a shorter yearly "festival." So I can see the inherent challenge in building and maintaining local support. Not sure what the answer is, or if other similar nps handle this challenge better. Surely they do...

Edited by scheherazadesghost