Just a Thought

With the small amount of corps in DCI and the addition of DCA level corps....why not make a fresh start and changed the name to DCofNA. Drum Corps of North America? Assuming there is at least one Canadian corps. If not then remove the N.

Use one set of judging sheets so that the judges don't have to think to much from corps to corps. Also mix up the performance order each show. That way judges don't rank and rate based on where they perform in the contest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/23/2023 at 4:45 AM, Keith Hall said:

That way judges don't rank and rate based on where they perform in the contest.

Except judges have the ability to go back and adjust numbers in the end if need be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Except judges have the ability to go back and adjust numbers in the end if need be. 

I actually don’t think judges should be allowed to do this.  If they are such experienced experts as we are told they are, they should be able to look at the performance and accurately assign a number.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I actually don’t think judges should be allowed to do this.  If they are such experienced experts as we are told they are, they should be able to look at the performance and accurately assign a number.  

It is supposed to prevent ties.  But It can also create them.

26 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It is supposed to prevent ties.  But It can also create them.

it can on the overall number, but not the caption. and judges aren't supposed to worry about the caption, just their sheet.

and the old days of "thats your number live with it" artificially deflates scores. someone comes out early and you put 94/93 down to be safe, and no one is better, you're automatically lowering everyones score if lower. however you put that 94/93 down as a placeholder, knowing maybe you could go higher but want to give yourself wiggle room frees the judge up to adjust and add clarity to rank and rate better and appropriately.

i've lived with both variations. there's pros and cons to each system. but in the long run, i'd rather how it is now.

as for sheets, open and world class are on the same sheet. no way all age should be on those sheets unless you take the WGI approach and create tolerances for the various classes. otherwise you'll see all age corps getting 40's at finals.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

as for sheets, open and world class are on the same sheet. no way all age should be on those sheets unless you take the WGI approach and create tolerances for the various classes. otherwise you'll see all age corps getting 40's at finals.

Bottom score at DCI 2023 was a 65.  Given that, I would think 11 of the 12 all-age corps would safely break 60 at finals.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 4:45 AM, Keith Hall said:

With the small amount of corps in DCI and the addition of DCA level corps....why not make a fresh start and changed the name to DCofNA. Drum Corps of North America? Assuming there is at least one Canadian corps. If not then remove the N.

Use one set of judging sheets so that the judges don't have to think to much from corps to corps. Also mix up the performance order each show. That way judges don't rank and rate based on where they perform in the contest.

Not sure what you are suggesting but have no separate (World, Open, All-Age) division and all compete at the same level? If that is the case then DCI would have to get rid of  age restrictions to allow All-Age corps. Nah.....

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Bottom score at DCI 2023 was a 65.  Given that, I would think 11 of the 12 all-age corps would safely break 60 at finals.

i dont think so. why? because in DCA now, no judges are at field level. field visual alone would probably have a large negative impact

46 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dont think so. why? because in DCA now, no judges are at field level. field visual alone would probably have a large negative impact

That 65 I was referring to was the Stentors.  That is how compressed DCI scores have become recently.  The last-place open-class corps finished with the same number as what Colts opened the season with.