What is wrong with US?

6 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Agreed and this is where siloing becomes a problem. The "teeth" would have to come from a governing body and the training and compliance would need 3rd party oversight. All of this being said, we don't necessarily know what is going down behind the curtains at DCI or the member corps. That's just reality. There may be plans in motion that we're unaware of. That doesn't in any way go against the ideas presented here (and in other threads,) meant to present possible solutions.

One of the big problems we have with the current model is a lack of transparency amongst many of the member corps and DCI itself. People are FAR more open have useful discourse and come to sustainable solutions when the cards on the table can be clearly seen by all interested parties. Some changes have to be kept close to the vest for various reasons, but that should not completely eliminate transparency. 

any change won't happen until the new CEO is up and running....evn if then. because after all, he serves at the pleasure of the board. and well, the board.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

any change won't happen until the new CEO is up and running....evn if then. because after all, he serves at the pleasure of the board. and well, the board.....

This is where the DCI/SoA lawsuit comes in & forces the board’s hand.  It isn’t going to just go away (unless plaintiff drops it -seems doubtful).  There will be depositions & discovery.  Hundreds of billable hours for attorneys.  And all this happens before any trial starts.   Liability insurance might cover some of the legal fees depending on how the policy is written.  Might.  And when policy renewal time comes the new policy will be much more explicit on what isn’t covered, as well as a lot more expensive.  And insurers of the Corps will also take note and their premiums will go up as well.  

Whatever outcome, the costs of doing business are going to increase.   Maybe by more, maybe by less.  But increase they will.  

In 2018 there was the opportunity to fix member safety.  But DCI (aka the Corps) didn’t then, and now the flock is coming home to roost.  And they only have themselves to blame. 

8 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Those are the kind of questions that arise.  And forums like this one are a reasonable place to get feedback that points toward the answers.

But if there are people within that drum corps who are willing to answer those questions, I personally would go to that source first. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

But if there are people within that drum corps who are willing to answer those questions, I personally would go to that source first. 

It's almost like these cable news opinion shows. People actually believe it's news and it's more opinion , bias at that, with an agenda for sure . Anything on the internet , in recent years also on TV one has to take what's being said not always as fact but opinion. Always go to the source.I agree. If one doesn't get answers at the source going on the internet IMO doesn't get answers , one can always find someone who will agree with them factual or not on line. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dbc03 said:

What kind of response and what kind of timeframe for it would make you happy? Your posts about the leadership in this thread imply you think they are handling this poorly, what should they be doing differently?

Would you call not being able to field a corps in 2024 handling things well?  Or are we all supposed to ignore that and just move on?  Stay tuned for information on how You can help!  And all that?   Nah, fool me once, shame one you. Fool me twice shame on me. 

You fail to handle the financial side to the point you can’t field a corps in 2024, and that invites scrutiny. Why is anybody surprised?  And, like Marimba said, that’s on Cadets BOD, not on the people asking questions.  

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Two of those corps do not have leaders in place.  The rest are not willing to answer.

But we are starting to talk past each other.  I sense your concern is about overreaching "gotcha" posts (a valid and timely concern at the moment), and what you characterize as "dirty laundry" about specific corps.  My concern is about trends impacting multiple corps.

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is where the DCI/SoA lawsuit comes in & forces the board’s hand.  It isn’t going to just go away (unless plaintiff drops it -seems doubtful).  There will be depositions & discovery.  Hundreds of billable hours for attorneys.  And all this happens before any trial starts.   Liability insurance might cover some of the legal fees depending on how the policy is written.  Might.  And when policy renewal time comes the new policy will be much more explicit on what isn’t covered, as well as a lot more expensive.  And insurers of the Corps will also take note and their premiums will go up as well.  

Whatever outcome, the costs of doing business are going to increase.   Maybe by more, maybe by less.  But increase they will.  

In 2018 there was the opportunity to fix member safety.  But DCI (aka the Corps) didn’t then, and now the flock is coming home to roost.  And they only have themselves to blame. 

legal costs are going to doom more than one corps before all is said and done

• Like 2