Lewiston, Maine

having just toed into Maine this summer crossing over a few times from Portsmouth, it is a beautifl place. Hoping for safety for all

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, craiga said:

Hi,

So, I've had several people from dcp text me privately about what's happening here in Maine. I thought I would give a bit of an update. CNN and the rest are all over this, so I'm not going to rehash what is pretty much common knowledge. 

But, here's what I can add.  Maine is a huge state geographically but 80% of its population lives in the southern most counties.  In those counties, all schools have been closed for two days now, which also means that all football, field hockey, marching band etc rehearsals/practices have been cancelled.

Tomorrow's MBDA Marching Band Finals in Sanford have been postponed until 11/4.

In Androscoggin County(including the twin cities of Lewiston and Auburn and surrounding towns) there is a shelter in place order, and the streets are completely vacant...much like the early days of the pandemic.

Although in the past, both the Lewiston Blue Devils and the Auburn Red Eddies had competitive marching bands, those programs both ended in the last decade. (And who could forget the Pine Tree Warriors Drum Corps from Lewiston back in the 70s....)

We don’t know if the marching band final will happen next week or not.  The entire State of Maine is on edge right now.  In fairness, I should note that despite having one of the highest firearms ownership rates in the country, Maine is ranked 50th in terms of gun violence by the FBI.  This has been a very safe state until now. This is worthy of mention because the state has issued over 209,000 hunting licenses this fall...and opening day for deer season is tomorrow. 

Although the kids and staff of my band are disappointed of course, everyone gets it and just wants it to end. 

Huge police presence here right now, including Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts State Police and the FBI Boston Region.  Hoping for this all to go away.

I live about 45 minutes away in Saco, and I believe all my family and friends are ok.  For my band kids, this is the second time during their school years that they have had to stay home from school due to an emergency event.  I can't imagine being a teenager today.

I was getting updates from Brasso on Facebook messenger.  Glad you’re safe and I’m sorry for the band members.  I was amazed at how wooded Maine is when we went upstate.  This coward could be hiding in the woods like Eric Rudolph did in North Carolina.

You’re right. Maine is very safe. As a point of reference, there were only 25 homicides in Maine last year.  I’m very sad for the people of Lewiston. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

Been in the area for work and vacation. Used the local airport and spent the night at Biddeford to catch an early flight. Nice area and very nice people. If this can happen here then proves it can happen anyway. 

• Like 2

Members and Fans of DCI organizations should be aware of the DCI Code of Ethics regarding firearms. There is a zero tolerance policy for member organizations. 

Not picking a side of if that is good or bad. That simply is the policy, and more than expected given DCI's own mission. So while touring across the country various states might allow a greater degree of self protection, organizations participating in DCI activities will be held to the DCI standard. 

Prepare yourselves accordingly. 

There are resources out there how to react in active shooter situations. I suggest if folks are interested in applying them to their member organizations they look into such recourses from websites that end in Dot Gov

Here are a few links below: 

https://community.fema.gov/ProtectiveActions/s/article/Active-Shooter-Run-Hide-Fight

https://www.cisa.gov/topics/physical-security/active-shooter-preparedness

One of my additional duties in the Army was the physical security officer, and I am also a Level 1 (introductory) Anti Terrorism Certified Trainer.

Basically, what it comes down to is realizing there is no 100% certainty we can protect ourselves or those around us, but if we do our part the offenders will move onto a different target of opportunity.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Been in the area for work and vacation. Used the local airport and spent the night at Biddeford to catch an early flight. Nice area and very nice people. If this can happen here then proves it can happen anyway. 

I remember when we traveled there, I was amazed that people would actually stop and wave you out to make a left turn.  They’d let you die in your car before they’d do that where I’m from. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard Lesher said:

Members and Fans of DCI organizations should be aware of the DCI Code of Ethics regarding firearms. There is a zero tolerance policy for member organizations. 

Not picking a side of if that is good or bad. That simply is the policy, and more than expected given DCI's own mission. So while touring across the country various states might allow a greater degree of self protection, organizations participating in DCI activities will be held to the DCI standard. 

Prepare yourselves accordingly. 

There are resources out there how to react in active shooter situations. I suggest if folks are interested in applying them to their member organizations they look into such recourses from websites that end in Dot Gov

Here are a few links below: 

https://community.fema.gov/ProtectiveActions/s/article/Active-Shooter-Run-Hide-Fight

https://www.cisa.gov/topics/physical-security/active-shooter-preparedness

One of my additional duties in the Army was the physical security officer, and I am also a Level 1 (introductory) Anti Terrorism Certified Trainer.

Basically, what it comes down to is realizing there is no 100% certainty we can protect ourselves or those around us, but if we do our part the offenders will move onto a different target of opportunity.  

Sadly as an educator, I've been through all of the various training for lockdown for all scenarios.  And it keeps changing. 🤷‍♂️  I guess in the next few years, all teachers will have body armor & carry an assault-style rifle.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1