Off topic post... CPR

18 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m sure you had the whole deal.  Survival training, too. 

Nope -- not for Musicians.

We did go through fire fighting drills, gas mask training, and a way too short session using small arms in boot camp. 

• Like 2

So musicians aren't expected to be subjected to survivalist conditions but the chances of getting gassed are high enough you need to know how to use the mask.  

Sounds like a rough audience to play for!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

So musicians aren't expected to be subjected to survivalist conditions but the chances of getting gassed are high enough you need to know how to use the mask.  

BITD military musicians secondary job was stretcher bearers.  WW1 changed that.  And to bring this back to Drum Corps - DC became popular post WW1 when veterans organizations, like VFW marched in parades.  Each post would have a few drums & bugles to keep the marching vets in step.  Competitions between VFW posts followed.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Yeah -- but this was stuff all boots went through, not job specific yet.

48 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

BITD military musicians secondary job was stretcher bearers.  WW1 changed that.  And to bring this back to Drum Corps - DC became popular post WW1 when veterans organizations, like VFW marched in parades.  Each post would have a few drums & bugles to keep the marching vets in step.  Competitions between VFW posts followed.  

Yes -- I've heard that.

Before our Med cruise, we spent a week training on radar for an upcoming exercise on the cruise. The instructor said it seemed musicians had a unique knack for being able to write backwards on the plexiglass info boards.

I've been mirror writing since I was a kid. Used to drive my mother crazy. 🙂

BTW -- During the exercise the band was conveniently off the ship playing concerts ashore. Hmmm ... it's as if someone didn't want us around. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Yes -- I've heard that.

Before our Med cruise, we spent a week training on radar for an upcoming exercise on the cruise. The instructor said it seemed musicians had a unique knack for being able to write backwards on the plexiglass info boards.

I've been mirror writing since I was a kid. Used to drive my mother crazy. 🙂

BTW -- During the exercise the band was conveniently off the ship playing concerts ashore. Hmmm ... it's as if someone didn't want us around. 

Before our Med Cruise (1968), the musicians in our band also went to Dam Neck, VA to train to be radarscope watchers, writing backwards on a plexiglass board, a few other odd jobs in the Flag CIC. When we left Dam Neck on our last day, we owned the record for the most number of bogies being tracked in the final simulated class exercise. I don't think that went over well with the top brass of the school.  Anyway, Navy Musicians no longer do that second job - just musicians, and I don't believe they have Navy Bands assigned for sea duty anymore. 

• Like 1

I've been certified in CPR for 20+ years. I also carry my own personal AED machine on tour.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oldsnare said:

Before our Med Cruise (1968), the musicians in our band also went to Dam Neck, VA to train to be radarscope watchers, writing backwards on a plexiglass board, a few other odd jobs in the Flag CIC. When we left Dam Neck on our last day, we owned the record for the most number of bogies being tracked in the final simulated class exercise. I don't think that went over well with the top brass of the school.  Anyway, Navy Musicians no longer do that second job - just musicians, and I don't believe they have Navy Bands assigned for sea duty anymore. 

I was told our "unit band" was the last of the 17-piece sea bands. The Navy moved to pool bands, one for the Atlantic and one for the Pacific. From a large group of musicians, they'd pick a group to go on a cruise. Not sure if they still do that or not. 

On 10/29/2023 at 8:36 AM, Terri Schehr said:

Your family saved that man in a time where many people just walk away.  Or video it.

I got my CPR training when I was a little league mom and scorekeeper.  Jim got his for work.  I really should go for a refresher.

Very good advice. 

I had a similar experience......1968.....I was almost 11 years old...........I was going with my father somewhere.....He backs out of the driveway, and starts down the street...."Hey Dad, why is Mr. W.... lying down in his front lawn?"....My Dad backed up to see him lying face down, and the lawn mower was still running.....very hot August day, and he wass elderly......I began to help my dad administer CPR, then he continued while I ran into the man's house (which was awkward, because his wife was sitting there, and I didn't want her to know what was going on outside.....I did manage to make the quick call, but it seemed to take forever for the ambulance arrive.  I also ran to get  a man who lived next door to come over, which helped big time, because at that moment his wife came out, saw him, and was understandably hysterical.  We kept trying until the ambulance folks arrived.  Sadly, Mr. W didn't make it (frankly, I think he was gone by the time we discovered him, as he had no pulse and was not breathing), but I can look back and say that my Dad and I tried as hard as we could to save him....it was tough on my Dad, and tough on me as a 10 year old.  At least 35 years later I performed the heimlich manuever on a 12 year old student who was choking at the start of a class (hard candy...that he wasn't supposed to have....went down the wrong way and was stuck in his windpipe), and thank God I was successful..........So glad that you jumped in there and SUCCEEDED!!!!  God Bless you............

• Like 1