The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What number of years is too many?  What is your number?  State it. 

Had an ancestor murdered few years before I was born. They caught the guys quickly but if they hadn’t… the number of years means nothing IMO

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DWW11 said:

Well said.  As a survivor of sexual assault at 15, i can assure you that it has impacted me for the 50 years since, and will probably impact me in some way, for the rest of my life.  Most people don’t understand that surviving this type of trauma affects choices you make in your life, such as who to date, who to marry, when to leave, etc.  It contributes to risk-taking and lack of impulse control.  A major decision i made at 18 was influenced by that assault, and scripted my entire adult life, in a manner not at all consistent with my hopes and dreams.  And i am an emotionally strong woman.  If i were of a weaker emotional build, it could have destroyed me.  

(((HUGS))) It stays with you.  That’s why I got so mad when I read on drumcorps Reddit that a young woman who was assaulted was told by someone in the DCI office that “she’d just have to get over it”. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What number of years is too many?  What is your number?  State it. And as you ponder your number, recall that Christine Blakey Ford’s accusations against Brett Kavanaugh were from alleged events about 35 years earlier. Was that a sham?

I don’t think it’s the number of years that’s really the issue for you. I think it’s the existential threat to the Cadets that is your issue. How dare they let some sexual assaults derail this organization. 

Yes, a sham. 35 years??? Really???

3 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Your doubling down isn’t doing you any favors in the eyes of your fellow DCPers

sometimes i just wait for karma

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TenHut said:

I don't post to score points with others. 

Have you come up with your answer yet?  How many years is too many?  What is the cutoff for reporting sexual assault?

• Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 10:13 PM, rjohn76 said:

If I'm reading the latest court documents correctly, it appears there was a motion by the plaintiff on 11/15 to file an amended complaint that would include Drum Corps International as a named defendant in the case.

Yes. its no secret that the Cadets this Fall were essentially in debt with nothing in reserves. So lawyers for the plaintiff victim likely made a strategic, smart move for their client to name DCI itself as an added defendant in their lawsuit.

What can we likely expect then in December/ January from DCI itself after notification of being named a defendant seeking among other things.. financial damage compensation to their client in a lawsuit ? Well, my guess, DCI itself will likely respond by distancing themselves as much as possible from this sordid and financial mess by perhaps distancing themselves, and quickly, from the alleged  bad behaviors of one of its member Corps.  What DCI will do , if anything, on this lawsuit as a defendant,  will eventually play out, and the public will know what measures, if any, DCI will take with this as a strategic move recommended by their attorneys.