DCI Januals 2024

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

I’m pretty sure that the number of marchers in WGI each season exceeds that of the number  marchers in DCI each season . It was not always this case  . WGI was formed a few years after DCI was formed in 1972 , and the number of units and marchers in DCI back then far exceeded the numbers of units and marchers in WGI. 
    But WGI grew both units and marcher numbers over the years as it expanded into scholastic groups and was far less expensive to operate units and far less expensive for marchers to participate in . So it had a broader reach .  I also like how it nurtures the young participants and gives them their due on the bigger stage there in WGI as well . 

WGI was co-founded in 1977/78 by the late-great Shirlee Whitcomb.  She was a trailblazer and wonderful lady.  I credit Ron Nankervis for growing WGI to the success it is today.  Wish he would have come over to run DCI.  

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think you’d have to be crazy to start an open class drum corps under the present circumstances.  Or you just won the last powerball drawing.

i've been hoping, especially since the all age announcement, that it would lead to increase of those groups

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

IIRC for a few years in 70s-80s DCI ran a winter guard championship.  Did WGI split off from this?  And if so, how did the split happen?  Seems winter guard got a lot bigger once DCI wasn’t involved. 

I recall something like that too in the mid 70s. I don't know if it was an "official" DCI circuit or sanctioned by DCI or just some guards organizing themselves for competitions, but I do remember our guards in '73-'75 doing some winter gigs in Illinois. In winter 74-'75 they added percussion to these. We didn't do much but essentially play a street beat while they did their guard things and try to out-Kingsmen everyone else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Yeah, I hear that, however it's clear that without changes the activity will die. That's not hyperbole, that's just economic reality at this point. There have to be some hard decisions made in the next few years if they want to maintain any semblance of the activity as it is now. 

Changes are needed . But for context , DCI corps just came out of an unprecedented pandemic where Corps, people,  businesses were  shuttered for long stretches . That naturally hurt everyone’s finances . Then interest rates went up , inflation set in ,  and costs for operation escalated . Given these unprecedented times ( unlike any period since DCI inception in 1972 ) I think it’s actually remarkable that only a handful of corps did not make it thru these last 3-4 years .

I’m not minimizing the loss of Corps , nor that DCI really does need to rethink how it does things . I think some changes are already taking place it looks like . Shorter number of shows . Less travel by most corps . Cutbacks on numbers of paid staff and the like . Things that likely needed to be done years ago too 

I don’t currently subscribe however  to the heard  assessment that the activity about to die off soon altogether . I suppose it could . But I’m of the opinion that they’ll always be a need in the summers for instruction once the school band rooms shut  down for the summers . Something is bound to fill that void , that need , imo . It may not come  in the current construct , but they ‘ll likely be summer instruction and summer competition of some form or another . The demand will always be there once the schools close for the summers . That demand will likely have a supply of teachers off for their summers and  music students off as well . That’s how I see it anyway . But … who really knows . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Yeah, I hear that, however it's clear that without changes the activity will die. That's not hyperbole, that's just economic reality at this point. There have to be some hard decisions made in the next few years if they want to maintain any semblance of the activity as it is now. 

hopefully the new guy can find revenue streams that can help offset tour expenses. with so few corps left, the regional model really isn't a great option, because in many regions there's so few corps within a decent sized region. plus the housing situations....not sure even with background checks people want their kids staying with strangers. yeah those things used to work, but it's a very different world now. and forcing kids to find a place to live and feed themselves on days they aren't doing drum corps could actually be way more expensive for the members.

my last year in a DCA corps, we complained loudly when dues went up as admin decided to feed us more and bus more to show sites and not having us fend for ourselves. well, several of us compared notes after the season and realized the higher dues was less expensive than leaving us on our own. plus we never had a member have a car breakdown issue and miss the show either.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Changes are needed . But for context , DCI corps just came out of an unprecedented pandemic where Corps, people,  businesses were  shuttered for long stretches . That naturally hurt everyone’s finances . Then interest rates went up , inflation set in ,  and costs for operation escalated . Given these unprecedented times ( unlike any period since DCI inception in 1972 ) I think it’s actually remarkable that only a handful of corps did not make it thru these last 3-4 years .

I’m not minimizing the loss of Corps , nor that DCI really does need to rethink how it does things . I think some changes are already taking place it looks like . Shorter number of shows . Less travel by most corps . Cutbacks on numbers of paid staff and the like . Things that likely needed to be done years ago too 

I don’t currently subscribe however  to the heard  assessment that the activity about to die off soon altogether . I suppose it could . But I’m of the opinion that they’ll always be a need in the summers for instruction once the school band rooms shut  down for the summers . Something is bound to fill that void , that need , imo . It may not come  in the current construct , but they ‘ll likely be summer instruction and summer competition of some form or another . The demand will always be there once the schools close for the summers . That demand will likely have a supply of teachers off for their summers and  music students off as well . That’s how I see it anyway . But … who really knows . 

As usual,  the voice of reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because one guy said drum corps will die in 5 years, some folks here are pushing all sorts of panic buttons.   Didn't some people say that same thing in 1971?

Also, whoever stated as fact that drum corps will be dead in 5 years needs to contact the Boston Crusaders/Inspire BOD.  They are currently working on their FINANCIAL PLAN FOR THE NEXT 50 YEARS.

Those crazy Boston people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Because one guy said drum corps will die in 5 years, some folks here are pushing all sorts of panic buttons.   Didn't some people say that same thing in 1971?

Also, whoever stated as fact that drum corps will be dead in 5 years needs to contact the Boston Crusaders/Inspire BOD.  They are currently working on their FINANCIAL PLAN FOR THE NEXT 50 YEARS.

This is great! For arts education nonprofits that tour extensively with as many members as DCI corps do, this kind of planning will be needed on an ongoing basis to survive and thrive. Kudos!

But what I REALLY want to know is how many championships the BoD is planning for BAC to win in those 50 years….

10 minutes ago, lawdn said:

This is great! For arts education nonprofits that tour extensively with as many members as DCI corps do, this kind of planning will be needed on an ongoing basis to survive and thrive. Kudos!

But what I REALLY want to know is how many championships the BoD is planning for BAC to win in those 50 years….

As many as possible....but we'll start with the one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Without a doubt there are some corps out there that could stick it out for decades. These days, Boston is one of them, along with a handful of other top groups.

• Like 1