CA Dept of Justice issues SCV "LETTER OF GOOD STANDING"

Sounds like they don’t have sufficient internal controls in place to prevent stealing from the bingo operation, or to identify problems?  Again?  So is money missing?  Seems like the numbers don’t add up per Mr. Lesher’s info?

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

OK - 2022 & years prior is unverifiable.  That won’t change. We’ll see what consequences

wonder if any way to determine what happened. Or too expensive or impossible to find out. Also wonder how much distrust this kicked up internally. 

9 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Actually, cash is. And AP isn’t verified. Sorry to disappoint the yay we’re back crowd but this is literally a SCV existential crisis. 

Cash easy to verify?? Ha! It’s the easiest to steal/hide/lose. I mean, I guess it’s easy to verify what's left lol.

AP verification is directly proportional to the integrity of the AP Treasurer.  (And surely SCV has two different people for the roles of AR and AP, right??? Not foolproof but still…)

For the record, I’m not in the “yay we r back” crowd lol. The forces of darkness within me won’t allow that to happen until people are held accountable and SCV is competitive again. That will take YEARS  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

wonder if any way to determine what happened. Or too expensive or impossible to find out. Also wonder how much distrust this kicked up internally. 

Perhaps with a lot of experienced forensic examiner’s & investigators it might be possible to follow the money.  But this isn’t an Enron-level organization we’re talking about, yet it could require an Enron-level investigation to unravel.  

Internal distrust?  Good question.  It sounds like the new director forced through the required audit (to the degree that it could be verified) to meet the absolute last time no more chances DoJ deadline.  And good on him for doing this.  We’ll see what happens longer term; as we are pontificating on an ongoing process where we don’t see all the moving parts- who knows what will happen.   It does seem that a portion of the executive leadership left during the last several years while others have dug in.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

I mean, I guess it’s easy to verify what's left lol.

That's the heart of Schedule G on IRS form 990. There are mini lottery tickets, and then sales of Bingo playing cards (which are basically cheap crappy news paper prints). 

The mini lottery cards can be reconciled because the are sold in boxes with relatively know pay out ratio. Also the payout ratio WILL NEVER BE NEGATEIVE!!!!!!!!!!! If all the records are not kept at SCV then just ask the vendor for copies. If all the revenues are not tracked in the accounting system then simply add up the purchase invoices of what isn't left in inventory (and that will give a very close estimate)

Bingo playing cards however...................

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

No one checks how many bingo playing cards are left at the end of the night. No one counts where it all started. Even the good bingo manager I support didn't do that. She had to keep track of the profit ratio to keep tabs on things. 

Regarding Bingo Games. Prize pay outs are known. The number of games is known. It's a risk to fudge the payouts reported. That can be estimated accurately too (Games played each night X nights of bingo played during the year X the Prize Payout per game). 

Now, how many Bingo Cards were sold.............. welp............ that's a problem. 

Nothing is stopping a scenario where a sales clerk takes $200 from a customer to play, hands over $200 worth of bingo cards, and then pockets $100. 

So as you say............ at the end of the night, they count whatever is left, and report that as Bingo Revenue. The Pull Tab sales are supporting those losses night after night. Otherwise, they'd literally run out of money during a night a playing Bingo. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

Otherwise, they'd literally run out of money during a night a playing Bingo. 

Followed by blue hair anarchy. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

Cash easy to verify?? Ha! It’s the easiest to steal/hide/lose. I mean, I guess it’s easy to verify what's left lol.

AP verification is directly proportional to the integrity of the AP Treasurer.  (And surely SCV has two different people for the roles of AR and AP, right??? Not foolproof but still…)

For the record, I’m not in the “yay we r back” crowd lol. The forces of darkness within me won’t allow that to happen until people are held accountable and SCV is competitive again. That will take YEARS  

Does SCV maintain "competitive inertia" with the year off? 😉

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

Does SCV maintain "competitive inertia" with the year off? 😉

Did they place first, second or third in 2022?  (Checks dci.org) - No. therefore they had no chance to win anyway in 2023. And same goes for 2024.  I know this thanks to Bruckner. 

33 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Did they place first, second or third in 2022?  (Checks dci.org) - No. therefore they had no chance to win anyway in 2023. And same goes for 2024.  I know this thanks to Bruckner. 

Mandarins will win DCI before SCV does again. Mandarins is currently headed by SCV's 1999 champion director and last year's DCI Director of the year. 

SCV sure knows how to pick'em they just can't KEEP'em

• Like 5