Vanguard 2024

54 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

And, possibly more importantly, what do the members want? 😎

Oh wait we’re going to worry about the members? 😈 (Really kidding as I bring up the same point on other social media.)

Ok we’re going to play something from before you were born. Can’t you just feel the history. 🥱🥱🥱

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not that many.   Hardly anyone knew Cavies Easter eggs last season.  It made me feel old because I remembered all of them. 

So when I hit 55 Kris told me I was too old to shovel our long sidewalk. (Never by a house on a curve or corner. 😫). So I was told to buy a snowblower (yes dear 😃). Just got in using it and realized this past Thanksgiving weekend 50 years ago I first joined a corps. 🤮 And 2 more months it will be 50 years since that corps folded. (Walking up and down a sidewalk and your mind tends to wander)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I hope they do a “Classic Vangaurd” show whether it be “Appalachian Spring” “Phantom Of The Opera” something Rimsky-Korsakov related or literally anything like that

There's never been a corps good or bad who ever went wrong playing Appalachian Spring. One of my all time favorite drum corps tunes. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

IOW how far back does the fans memory go?

Like everything else in this tired old body, not as far as it used to. 

"Hey honey, how about some eggs for breakfast?"

"You old goober, you just ate eggs for breakfast 10 min ago." 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brian1313 said:

The places he has in mind have very very good fin aid packages and he carries exceptional grades right now. I've already told him he needs to find places for his Masters and on that will essentially pay him to learn. He's on the right path, but it will be very difficult to not have a small bit of debt after coming out of school. Hopefully his little brother stays with the diesel mechanic and firefighter path.

Great, just passing along the info. No one going that path is ever going to be rich so taking on a ton of debt isn't a good idea. I was lucky enough to get a free masters and PhD but still carried debt from my bachelors and it's not fun!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh wait we’re going to worry about the members? 😈 (Really kidding as I bring up the same point on other social media.)

Ok we’re going to play something from before you were born. Can’t you just feel the history. 🥱🥱🥱

🤣

On the flip side, it's possible we could be totally surprised by a craving for nostalgia from gen Z. I mean, who wouldn't want to wear the Xmas colors and an aussie, for example? There's so much cool rep in our past. Have one friend who's fantasized about Vanguard doing a FULL retro show (rep, drill)... possibly slightly updated, but with lots of elements kept in. Do you know how cool that would be, scores be ######? Talking about being the season's darling corps!

On the other other flip side, not looking back and advancing with new, wild ideas is always gonna be a winner in my book. ::weeps in Pathways::

So yeah, what do the members want? Give 'em what they want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I hope they do a “Classic Vangaurd” show whether it be “Appalachian Spring” “Phantom Of The Opera” something Rimsky-Korsakov related or literally anything like that

i'm hoping they go Vanguard...somewhere new. nods to the past here and there...fine. but rehash rarely works well (see 05, 14)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

And, possibly more importantly, what do the members want? 😎

A sweet thought. I am trying to recall the last time any DCI program designer prioritized this.

I do admire your idealism.

7 minutes ago, ironlips said:

A sweet thought. I am trying to recall the last time any DCI program designer prioritized this.

I do admire your idealism.

my hunch is the kids want a cool show. 

• Like 1