Vanguard 2024

i'll be very curious to see if they pick up where they left off in 2022. luckily, being able to hold numbers shouldn't hurt them with the early performance times they'll deal with til San Antonio if they deserve the placement

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'll be very curious to see if they pick up where they left off in 2022. luckily, being able to hold numbers shouldn't hurt them with the early performance times they'll deal with til San Antonio if they deserve the placement

I was thinking about this.  I’m not sure it will matter.  I went to TOC shows where BD went on first in the daylight and it didn’t matter.  They still won the shows. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

They have top-notch staff.  But reading Reddit it seems many potential members were skeptical about their ability to field (& I’m not 100% sure they are out of woods yet, but the trees are much less dense) and auditioned elsewhere.   So, talent level top-to-bottom may not be what it was in 2022.  And we’ll see what top staff can do with the members they have.  

Philosophical question- Is it better to have a standard that potentially members need to meet, even if that means a smaller Corps (say 100 members); or do you lower standards so you can march a full Corps?   

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Clarity
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was thinking about this.  I’m not sure it will matter.  I went to TOC shows where BD went on first in the daylight and it didn’t matter.  They still won the shows. 

I agree, judges are pretty good assessing these corps. I suspect SCV will be quite good. I think a lot of talented musicians and auxiliary are very interested in bringing the corps back to top 5 status. Can't wait to see what their show will be. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

They have top-notch staff.  But reading Reddit it seems many potential members were skeptical about their ability to field (& I’m not 100% sure they are out of woods yet, but the trees are much less dense) and auditioned elsewhere.   So, talent level top-to-bottom may not be what it was in 2022.  And we’ll see what top staff can do with the members they have.  

Philosophical question- Is it better to have a standard that potentially members need to meet, even if that means a smaller Corps (say 100 members); or do you lower standards so you can march a full Corps?   

You march a full corps and TEACH what you need to win.  You have so much practice time for so little shows that go on late in the years.  There are no excuses to being able to get a great show on the field.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

You march a full corps and TEACH what you need to win.  You have so much practice time for so little shows that go on late in the years.  There are no excuses to being able to get a great show on the field.

And to get it on the field complete for the first show.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Might be a good year to dust-off bottle dance to help restore momentum. 

Kinda like when the Cadets did the Z-pull after he who shall remain nameless was fired?