A Great Article on The Cadets

6 hours ago, craiga said:

Is this the very same Keith Hall who incessantly posts on DCP predicting the immediate death of drum corps?

no.

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Should we start an over/under on whether this will be the dumbest idea of 2024?

the good thing about drum corps is the bar is always raised ( and not in good ways) every few weeks

• Haha 2

I have read several times the Cadets have sold their equipment. I would think if this has actually happened in our small world of drum corps and band we would have heard who it was sold to. So who was this equipment sold to? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DAvery said:

I have read several times the Cadets have sold their equipment. I would think if this has actually happened in our small world of drum corps and band we would have heard who it was sold to. So who was this equipment sold to? 

Troopers got all the electronics and the electronic trailer to haul it.  Music City  got the food trailer.   Cadets didn't own the brass and owner  took it back the day after they announced  that they were not going to have  a 2024 season.  Battery returned.  No idea what happened to front ensemble probably sold to multiple groups. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

Troopers got all the electronics and the electronic trailer to haul it.  Music City  got the food trailer.   Cadets didn't own the brass and owner  took it back the day after they announced  that they were not going to have  a 2024 season.  Battery returned.  No idea what happened to front ensemble probably sold to multiple groups. 

All of this matches the info that I have heard....exactly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, craiga said:

All of this matches the info that I have heard....exactly.

Ditto 

• Like 1

so....

we heard lots of rumors of bad business prior to April 2018. After that exploded, more and more came out, and eventually YEA dissolved and the only 2 valuable items....the corps and the band circuit....splt off and were bught respectively. The corps had rumors of issues financially but then again, after Hopghazi and splitting off on it's own, that wasn't a surprise. things seemed stable enough. Then Scott got pushed out after literally keeping the corps alive. 

then covid. then they came back out in 21, and back full force in 2022 with a new director after i forget the person that replaced Scott. Oh and that director and end of the season had drama and rumors of serious financial issues. Like a legend fired and that terminationended up driving that director out. Then they moved 7 hours away from the home base and came out last year. Rumors seemed mostly quiet, even right after the season...and then October hit. Then word of the lawsuit got out in addition to other rumors of financial issues that came up as 23 ended.

so really, for 5+ years, the financial issues have always seemed to be lurking under the surface and just needed a trigger incident. the move to Erie didn't produce any kind of funding results and ###### off long time donors. No more band circuit to help keep robbing Peter to pay Paul. Maybe covid sped it up, but in hindsight....this may have been inevitable anyway. i noticed after Hopghazi USbands lost bands. since BD took over, it's gained a lot of bands and rave reviews for how it's run. 

of everything that happened in this time, in addition to feeling horrible for alumni seeing this all go down, i feel bad for Scott. He brought Crossmen back from dead in the 80's. He retired from a great teaching gi early to help keep his corps alive. And because they didn't bounce back right away and people got sold a bill of goods on others ( especially one who never got the top job anywhere else despite their best efforts)..man. so sad.

but really....i'm not sure we wouldn't have ended up here anyway

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Jeff, I got to know Scott in college and he's a Big Brother to me in KKPsi. I've had nothing but deep respect for him since I've known him and it really bothers me that anyone would do him wrong. I'm just shaking my head on it...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so....

we heard lots of rumors of bad business prior to April 2018. After that exploded, more and more came out, and eventually YEA dissolved and the only 2 valuable items....the corps and the band circuit....splt off and were bught respectively. The corps had rumors of issues financially but then again, after Hopghazi and splitting off on it's own, that wasn't a surprise. things seemed stable enough. Then Scott got pushed out after literally keeping the corps alive. 

then covid. then they came back out in 21, and back full force in 2022 with a new director after i forget the person that replaced Scott. Oh and that director and end of the season had drama and rumors of serious financial issues. Like a legend fired and that terminationended up driving that director out. Then they moved 7 hours away from the home base and came out last year. Rumors seemed mostly quiet, even right after the season...and then October hit. Then word of the lawsuit got out in addition to other rumors of financial issues that came up as 23 ended.

so really, for 5+ years, the financial issues have always seemed to be lurking under the surface and just needed a trigger incident. the move to Erie didn't produce any kind of funding results and ###### off long time donors. No more band circuit to help keep robbing Peter to pay Paul. Maybe covid sped it up, but in hindsight....this may have been inevitable anyway. i noticed after Hopghazi USbands lost bands. since BD took over, it's gained a lot of bands and rave reviews for how it's run. 

of everything that happened in this time, in addition to feeling horrible for alumni seeing this all go down, i feel bad for Scott. He brought Crossmen back from dead in the 80's. He retired from a great teaching gi early to help keep his corps alive. And because they didn't bounce back right away and people got sold a bill of goods on others ( especially one who never got the top job anywhere else despite their best efforts)..man. so sad.

Excellent summary 

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so....

Selling US Bands really had to hurt. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1