A Great Article on The Cadets

11 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My favorite band mom moment was sisters last show at regionals in Westminster, MD. Another bands (different group) volunteers come out to set up and I knew a few from corps. I yelled “way to go (names)” and band mom in front of me whips around. “You should cheer for YOUR band.” My response “I will but now cheering for my friends”. 

Few hours later the drum tech for another band walks up the aisle looking for a seat to watch his group. I know the guy (spoiler alert it was Jeff’s dad) and I had an empty seat next to me on the aisle. Sooooo…. my folks and I had a quick chat, he watched his band and left. And I got the 😳 look from band mom from hades. 😈

that mooch. always looking for a freebie LOL.

and i have some band parent stupid stories. due to the statutes possibly not expiring, i'll not post anything.

but if i am on watches, what happens between the lines is my responsibility. i know the rulebook, you dont....so don't get in my face in front of a crowded gym. or i'll stand there, say nothing, then turn around and walk away and get security

• Like 1

Someone should pitch the show concept to Bravo; "The Real Band Moms of Chino Hills".  Follow them through marching season; drama, power struggles, betrayal, inner-rivalries, favortisim, and everything else that makes for good entertainment.

I'd watch that one. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Someone should pitch the show concept to Bravo; "The Real Band Moms of Chino Hills".  Follow them through marching season; drama, power struggles, betrayal, inner-rivalries, favortisim, and everything else that makes for good entertainment.

I'd watch that one. 

Season 2 Real band moms of Indianapolis and have a confrontation between Avon moms and Carmel moms

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I can never choose between Bravo and TLC when I want to watch a show that focuses on other peoples' pathetic lives. Makes mine look as sane and as normal as it can be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'd watch that one. 

You are not lying about the band moms out here in SoCal. Especially the three-way rivalry between the SoCal powerhouses Vista Murrieta, Chino Hills, and Ayala. There were times where I thought the three should just have a Triple Threat Match at WWE SummerSlam lol.

But here is a hilarious story about some band moms I encountered.

Back in October 2019, my son was in his sophomore year with the Vista Murrieta band, and they were hosting a competition, Of course Chino Hills and Ayala were there for the big showdown.

Anyhow, during the intermission between 3A and 4A, there were some band moms from another 5A competing band sitting in front of me. Not going to lie, they were giving off the "Entitled Karen Vibe". So eventually their discussion veered toward drum corps, and one of the mom's (we'll call her son Johnny) says "OMG! Johnny dragged me to one of those drum corps shows at the Rose Bowl a few months ago, and honestly I wasn't impressed with any of those corps. I mean our kids high school band COULD TOTALLY COMPETE AND BEAT ALL THOSE CORPS". 

Keep in mind when she went to the Rose Bowl, she saw the eventual champion Ghostlight, Bronze Medalist Vox Eversio, and phenomenal shows like Wrong Side of the Tracks, Everglow, and subTerra from Cavies, PC, and Mandarins to name a few. 

And to top it off, the other moms just chimed in and started agreeing with her (mob mentality) that their kids were totally world class level, and there was no difference between high school band and drum corps. 

I couldn't help it and laughed out loud, they turned and looked at me, but I passed it off as I was laughing at something else as it would have been a no-win situation getting into it with them. Another guy near us looked at them, and just shook his head lol. 

So naturally when their kids band came on the field, I was hype and ready to see a historic performance considering these kids could allegedly beat BD head-to-head. 

Uh yea....................no. They ended up dead last in 5A and got waxed by the competition. 

Another lesson in its ok to root and support your kids and think they are great, but on the flip side, learn to keep things in reality and know there are levels to this. Lol.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

You are not lying about the band moms out here in SoCal. Especially the three-way rivalry between the SoCal powerhouses Vista Murrieta, Chino Hills, and Ayala. There were times where I thought the three should just have a Triple Threat Match at WWE SummerSlam lol.

But here is a hilarious story about some band moms I encountered.

Back in October 2019, my son was in his sophomore year with the Vista Murrieta band, and they were hosting a competition, Of course Chino Hills and Ayala were there for the big showdown.

Anyhow, during the intermission between 3A and 4A, there were some band moms from another 5A competing band sitting in front of me. Not going to lie, they were giving off the "Entitled Karen Vibe". So eventually their discussion veered toward drum corps, and one of the mom's (we'll call her son Johnny) says "OMG! Johnny dragged me to one of those drum corps shows at the Rose Bowl a few months ago, and honestly I wasn't impressed with any of those corps. I mean our kids high school band COULD TOTALLY COMPETE AND BEAT ALL THOSE CORPS". 

Keep in mind when she went to the Rose Bowl, she saw the eventual champion Ghostlight, Bronze Medalist Vox Eversio, and phenomenal shows like Wrong Side of the Tracks, Everglow, and subTerra from Cavies, PC, and Mandarins to name a few. 

And to top it off, the other moms just chimed in and started agreeing with her (mob mentality) that their kids were totally world class level, and there was no difference between high school band and drum corps. 

I couldn't help it and laughed out loud, they turned and looked at me, but I passed it off as I was laughing at something else as it would have been a no-win situation getting into it with them. Another guy near us looked at them, and just shook his head lol. 

So naturally when their kids band came on the field, I was hype and ready to see a historic performance considering these kids could allegedly beat BD head-to-head. 

Uh yea....................no. They ended up dead last in 5A and got waxed by the competition. 

Another lesson in its ok to root and support your kids and think they are great, but on the flip side, learn to keep things in reality and know there are levels to this. Lol.

Sounds about right.  You just have to grin and bear it. I once had a parent sitting behind me making fun of the corps my son was in.  I wanted to turn around and say something so badly, but I didn’t.  

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 5:02 PM, HBD said:

2 DCI finalist corps ( Bayonne and Cadets) literally minutes away + Crossmen an hour away lead the talented members to greener pastures. This was what folded the corps. 

This happened in Quebec to effectively wipe nearly everyone out, and the Westshoremen were grabbing people from failing corps left and right when I was there. No surprise.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:51 PM, scheherazadesghost said:

Parents are the reason I left youth education with bells on after years of dedication.

I need to go to work but I've got a whopper of a story involving out of control band parents in Central PA...

nothing beat a YEA volunteer when i got to a YEA run show and had the exact same seat info on my ticket as 3 other people and they informed me "well you got here after them, so i have openings on the 20".

and i informed them to call george so he could refund me out of his pocket now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

nothing beat a YEA volunteer when i got to a YEA run show and had the exact same seat info on my ticket as 3 other people and they informed me "well you got here after them, so i have openings on the 20".

and i informed them to call george so he could refund me out of his pocket now.

That happened to me in Williamsport the first year of DCA there.