Troopers guard

8 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

You sound like a bully. But you probably knew that and are proud. 

An instructor shouts and you pull out the abuse in sports handbook. You sound like someone who couldn't/didn't cut it in the activity and/or handle any kind of heat to help you become better. Let's just give everyone a first place trophy because they tried, right? 

• Haha 1

I've noticed that whenever I feel inclined to raise my voice with my students, it's usually about something internal not external... almost always insecurity or unpreparedness on my part.

The same is true of students acting up 99.99% of the time.  Not necessarily insecurity on their part, but definitely something that has nothing to do with me or my instruction.  

Took me a bit to figure both of those things out, but it sure made me a better teacher.  

Also, being good at something doesn't make you good at teaching it, unfortunately.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cadet Guardy said:

An instructor shouts and you pull out the abuse in sports handbook. You sound like someone who couldn't/didn't cut it in the activity and/or handle any kind of heat to help you become better. Let's just give everyone a first place trophy because they tried, right? 

That was me with the handbook resource. TAOS is a predominant resource on the prevention of abuse in sport, so minimizing its import looks bad on you. 61% of athletes globally report abuse. Fact.

Wanna come at me with the accusation that I couldn't cut it in this activity? That also won't look good on you. The man that abused me came from the Cadets btw. Confirmed and corroborated by VMAPA.

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

That was me with the handbook resource. TAOS is a predominant resource on the prevention of abuse in sport, so minimizing its import looks bad on you. 61% of athletes globally report abuse. Fact.

Wanna come at me with the accusation that I couldn't cut it in this activity? That also won't look good on you. The man that abused me came from the Cadets btw. Confirmed and corroborated by VMAPA.

We are all aware of your abuse - it's as if you bring it up weekly on this forum and I am sorry that happened to you. I am simply stating that there is a line and I simply do not believe if an instructor shouts a few times that it constitutes as emotional abuse. I also stand by my opinion that some people, not all, are simply too soft in present times. If I were shouted at for completely running the wrong drill set, I would take that as a "lets get your head in the game and focus" rather a "he shouted at me and I'm going to go file a complaint to get the instructor removed". There is a line.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cadet Guardy said:

We are all aware of your abuse - it's as if you bring it up weekly on this forum and I am sorry that happened to you. I am simply stating that there is a line and I simply do not believe if an instructor shouts a few times that it constitutes as emotional abuse. I also stand by my opinion that some people, not all, are simply too soft in present times. If I were shouted at for completely running the wrong drill set, I would take that as a "lets get your head in the game and focus" rather a "he shouted at me and I'm going to go file a complaint to get the instructor removed". There is a line.

Who defines that line?  I'm all for exploring nuance, but given the way you've presented yourself, I think most of us would hope nobody like you would ever be the one to define it for any student anywhere.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Sure. Sometimes. It's therefore lazy "teaching" at best, and the enablers around them let it happen.

Yelling is easy.  Everyone knows how to do it.  But the good teachers recognize the underlying issue (guard example - maybe some kind of timing problem) and then fix the problem (some exercises that help with timing).  

• Thanks 2

The bottom line is that we'll never know why the change was made.  That's between the corps and the people no longer with them.  I just want the corps to do well.  I think we can all agree on that.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cadet Guardy said:

I bring it up when it applies, but thanks for including the small dig. It cheapens your apology. I still regularly have to explain to people I marched alongside that it happened, so I'm not sorry this space gets an earful.

Not everybody has had the life experiences by the time they march that enable them to bounce back from what you minimize as yelling once or twice. They should still be welcome in the activity. And some of us were taught by world class educators without yelling before we got to corps, so standards were set and not met. And obviously, false accusations should be investigated and outright liars should be held accountable. But unfortunately yelling can be and has been a tell tale sign of worse behavior across the activity and its history.

Zero tolerance for a behavior that several other posters here have already affirmed is unnecessary and potentially harmful. Life is tough enough without it. Yelling to toughen someone up to "prepare them for life" is abusive.

BD doesn't shout at their members. Bloo doesn't shout at their members. I hope there are more. Be like them and reap the rewards.

I expressed concern about the Troop guard after my first viewing last season. Knew nothing of the instructors. Some of us can see undue challenge in performance.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cadet Guardy said:

IMO depends on the incident. Instructor gets mad, yells and that’s it, fine. But if continuing to harp on members to the point they look for an excuse to yell.. find another job.

Goes with the daughter of an ex-boss. She had to drop out mid season due to a health issue. Got told she wasn’t (corps name) material and shunned until her folks picked up. Then management was “too busy” to give parents details on what happened. IOW if you’re not helping the corps then you’re dirt

Edited by JimF-LowBari

37 minutes ago, Cadet Guardy said:

Wow you really are a bully. No one here is shocked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1