Troopers guard

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I don't see it that way.  Kids commit to a corps, not a particular instructor, or set of instructors.  It's just like the kid that signs a letter of intent to play for a particular coach only to have said coach leave for the NFL or a different university before he/she sets foot on campus.  Commit to the institution, not an employee of the institution.  Employees come and go. 

Perhaps you forgot when Carolina Crowns staff up and left for Boston... pretty much ALL of Crowns guard followed them. Todays performers DO in fact chose organisations based on instructional staff. You think brass players dont go to BD or Crown to learn under all star brass staffs? I am certain that Paul and Sandi Rennick have absolutely NO influence on percussionists decision to march at Vanguard. Seriously, times have changed pal.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I don't see it that way.  Kids commit to a corps, not a particular instructor, or set of instructors.  It's just like the kid that signs a letter of intent to play for a particular coach only to have said coach leave for the NFL or a different university before he/she sets foot on campus.  Commit to the institution, not an employee of the institution.  Employees come and go. 

It’s not like that anymore. They follow staff people around.  I saw my kid do it twice.  He followed one drum staff around.

I felt he was limiting himself but it was his choice. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Guard members are very loyal to staff and instructors. Probably at the same degree or higher than percussion. Watched the majority of my corps’s guard follow their caption head to their new corps twice in the mid-nineties and have seen it so many times since. 

I’ve also seen new guard members show up to spring training in recent years with barely any following or knowledge of the history of past of the corps they were about to join which is surprising. They are following that staff that recruited them throughout the WGI season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cainan said:

Perhaps you forgot when Carolina Crowns staff up and left for Boston... pretty much ALL of Crowns guard followed them. Todays performers DO in fact chose organisations based on instructional staff. You think brass players dont go to BD or Crown to learn under all star brass staffs? I am certain that Paul and Sandi Rennick have absolutely NO influence on percussionists decision to march at Vanguard. Seriously, times have changed pal.

Moving with instructors is not that new. I knew people who marched with 27th who jumped ship and went to Garfield Cadets when George Zingali and company moved on. At the time it was not out of admiration for George Z. or his genius which as we know now was sill emerging. After coming close with 27th in 1980 and a show in 1981 that didn’t place as high as predicted (though 4th is nothing to sneeze at), they felt the best chance to win a title was with Cadets.

I’ve never studied the issue, but based on things I’ve heard over the years, people who move with instructors, especially when there are veterans in the corps, can sometimes be problematic. The new instructor is a celebrity so they believe they are too. People who audition because of an instructor can be ideal. Now my sources are usually parents or volunteers. Parents may be biased, but the nice folks who feed the multitudes and make sure the ingredients are fresh on Taco Tuesday hear it all!

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s not like that anymore. They follow staff people around.  I saw my kid do it twice.  He followed one drum staff around.

I felt he was limiting himself but it was his choice. 

I’m quite sure that if I had a few more years to march, I would have followed Zingali to Garfield. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Actually kids commit to a corps and for a staff. Been that way for decades 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ya know, if it weren’t for that pesky 10-point guard caption, I’d stir the pot by suggesting Troops are marching 160 brass & percussion.   😎

It’s 20 points before the average 

33 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Actually kids commit to a corps and for a staff. Been that way for decades 

TBH, I followed my friends to Guardsmen.  If I’d been a guy, I’d probably have followed those friends to Cavaliers. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2