Ticket Prices

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I know I'm out of touch, but you could offer to pay *me* $75 to name any tune done by any of those bands and I'd be stumped. 

A woman in the office asked me to name a single Taylor Swift song. I couldn't do it.  She was also shocked to learn I've never seen a full episode of Friends in my entire life. 

I would assume then that you are not the ideal audience for judging the demand for pop culture. 

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I would assume then that you are not the ideal audience for judging the demand for pop culture. 

That was unnecessarily Snarky, Puppy.

• Haha 6

48 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think most professional sports franchises make more money from television contracts than gate.  Maybe college, too. 

Yes; NFL, Big10, SEC, et al have big contracts w media.  And at least in SEC all schools get same cut of pie; Alabama gets same $ as Vandy.  

This said. I don’t see DCI gets $500M contract with ESPN. 

• Like 1

My guess would be the largest single expense hosting a show would not be the number of corps in a show but the cost of the stadium. That certainly impacts ticket prices. Also very few shows have program books, and even those that do are not filled with ads which would have been the case in the past. That’s an income loss which has to be made up someplace else. With fewer shows, what we are paying for is the opportunity to see drum coros in our own backyard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes; NFL, Big10, SEC, et al have big contracts w media.  And at least in SEC all schools get same cut of pie; Alabama gets same $ as Vandy.  

This said. I don’t see DCI gets $500M contract with ESPN. 

they didn't get anything from ESPN the first time around. i doubt it would change

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

My guess would be the largest single expense hosting a show would not be the number of corps in a show but the cost of the stadium. That certainly impacts ticket prices. Also very few shows have program books, and even those that do are not filled with ads which would have been the case in the past. That’s an income loss which has to be made up someplace else. With fewer shows, what we are paying for is the opportunity to see drum corps in our own backyard. 

this. plus if a corps is the host, odds are concessions are run by the school that owns the stadium, so they aren't getting any of that.

But if the program is the QR code type, you can get some sponsors for that to help a little 

29 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

this. plus if a corps is the host, odds are concessions are run by the school that owns the stadium, so they aren't getting any of that.

But if the program is the QR code type, you can get some sponsors for that to help a little 

QR coded program stuff was done through banners and poster standing boards were on display at Annapolis if I recall.  mostly down the hall as you went to your seats not in the souvie area.  I remember being intrigued enough by how it was done to try some of the codes out and I suppose my eyes hit advertisements.  That was a Cadets run show.  I don't know know how much that actually generates but I found it cool as the old "paper books" would be costly to print for a single show and I'm not sure how much they'd guarantee sales anymore. But putting the stuff onto a digital format and hosting it on a domain a corps/host already runs would be doable.  If done right they could also have corps buy in to place their social media and content within that 'program' too.  

22 minutes ago, Lance said:

I could name that tune in 4 notes.  😜

3 — Black Cow!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1