questionably high amount of openings

DCI recently put up and infographic displaying how many currently open spots there are for this season, and the numbers are slightly concerning me. i do not remember there being this many openings this time last year.

BRASS | 341

FIELD PERCUSSION | 93

FRONT ENSEMBLE | 67

COLOR GUARD | 434 !!

CONDUCTORS | 6

is it just me or do these numbers feel excessively high being this late into preseason? theres only like 2 months left until most corps start move-ins. 

i believe this shows number of spots if every corps marched a completely full corps,  and also only takes into account contracts signed,  so even though it might show a corps with 8 horn spots or something those 8 people may already be there just not having signed a contract.

• Like 2

DCI has posted these numbers for a few years - that feels about normal for this time of year.  Guard is high since many corps don't lock down numbers until after WGI season ends.  -Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The number of “openings” is also for how many corps?  12? 15? 25?  Do the numbers include World and Open classes?  On a per corps basis, the numbers don’t seem exceptionally high.  And for brass, that’s usually the highest member counts anyway.

29 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

The number of “openings” is also for how many corps?  12? 15? 25?  Do the numbers include World and Open classes?  On a per corps basis, the numbers don’t seem exceptionally high.  And for brass, that’s usually the highest member counts anyway.

Yes, this includes Open Class too. As mentioned above, Guards are still being auditioned with many Corps ( including World Class ), and this is typical for them as WGI season is in full force at the moment ( also mentioned above ).  So all in all, these opening numbers at this stage seem about normal and typical of most seasons now.

Edited by Boss Anova

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

Yes, this includes Open Class too. As mentioned above, Guards are still being auditioned with many Corps ( including World Class ), and this is typical for them as WGI season is in full force at the moment ( also mentioned above ).  So all in all, these opening numbers at this stage seem about normal and typical of most seasons now.

Would they be including All-Age in those numbers now too, then?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

i believe it counts World, Open and now all age

• Like 1

Agree with above...these numbers make the absurd assumption that every corps is going to march the max of 165,  even open class.  My guess is they do this to help bolster membership in the smaller corps, which is actually a solid idea.

I also do not know about All Age being included, but now that they are under the same umbrella I wouldn't be surprised if they did. 

3 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Not sure . Jeff seems to believe they do however . 

Sound sport too I saw elsewhere