questionably high amount of openings

15 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

One of the reasons that the lower limit was probably a better decision.  I get 128 was because of buses but kids that could and would have marched elsewhere allowed even more advantage to corps better off or known.

well the thing is, per part of the rationale to vote the change in, 165 fills busses as they are made now. of course they crowed about more revenue too, but forgot to bring up more expenses

13 hours ago, olddrummer34 said:

You are completely wrong. Most of the top 12 corps were completely full and then some. Quit being a doomer

not being a doomer. and more than a few acknowledged not being at 165. 

I’m not sure if this is related, but a few weeks ago I was talking with a friend who coordinates internships for college students. It was a general group conversation and one person in the group was a teacher who worked for a summer camp and mentioned difficulties in getting qualified counselors who are over 18. The woman who handles the intern candidates said she faced similar challenges and while most internships she steers students towards will have candidates, there are fewer applicants for more positions. Maybe young people in general are choosing to do different things in the summer months and it’s catching up with drum corps.

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

not being a doomer. and more than a few acknowledged not being at 165. 

This is not unique to 2024. In the 90's corps struggled EVEN MORE to fill spots. In 1996, the world champion corps started the season with a lot of holes needing to be filled - because they didn't have the turnout to fill them all. That doesn't happen nowadays to hardly anyone in the top 12. Colts are the only one I can think of. 

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well the thing is, per part of the rationale to vote the change in, 165 fills busses as they are made now. of course they crowed about more revenue too, but forgot to bring up more expenses

Expenses don't keep pace with revenue at scale.  That's why scale exists.

Mike

9 hours ago, Tim K said:

I’m not sure if this is related, but a few weeks ago I was talking with a friend who coordinates internships for college students. It was a general group conversation and one person in the group was a teacher who worked for a summer camp and mentioned difficulties in getting qualified counselors who are over 18. The woman who handles the intern candidates said she faced similar challenges and while most internships she steers students towards will have candidates, there are fewer applicants for more positions. Maybe young people in general are choosing to do different things in the summer months and it’s catching up with drum corps.

as i have seen elsewhere, the pandemic was a great reset for many people on many things. this may be part of that

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

as i have seen elsewhere, the pandemic was a great reset for many people on many things. this may be part of that

Funny you say that. My daughter and son were born in 2002 and 2004. When they were growing up and we would talk about changes and differences between generations, social stuff, etc, I always found myself saying pre 9/11 and post 9/11. Now I found myself saying pre-pandemic, and post pandemic. 

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Funny you say that. My daughter and son were born in 2002 and 2004. When they were growing up and we would talk about changes and differences between generations, social stuff, etc, I always found myself saying pre 9/11 and post 9/11. Now I found myself saying pre-pandemic, and post pandemic. 

Same, on all counts. (Including having a daughter and son born in 2002 and 2004, respectively.)

COVID thew a giant monkey wrench into my daughter’s final semester of high school color guard (basically nuking it). I also think she probably would have tried out for DCI (Regiment or Scouts) had she not had that long break. But by the time things started normalizing, she was already getting rusty and busy with other life issues. (Last year would have been her rookout year.) 

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1

My kids were '01 and '04.  The eldest did march 2 years DCI, but the pandemic ended that and they had no desire to go back.  My youngest was a basketball player, and due to COVID rescheduling ended up playing almost 120 games across two varsity and two AAU seasons in about 18 months.  That pretty much killed their passion for playing due to burnout.

Mike

• Like 1