Cadets and bankruptcy

1 hour ago, Zanjero said:

Time to change WC member age eligibility to 18-23. Has this been discussed?

I would keep the upper age at 21.   

If all members are over 18, that solves the problem of consensual acts between adults.   But it doesn’t solve the problem of non-consensual assaults.  

I agree 18-22 or 23. 

Will never solve everything but at least handles the minor/adult relationship issue better. An 18 year member cannot have a relationship with a 17 year old member. 

Think back to your marching days and about how that dynamic has changed.  I’m not saying it’s wrong to have that strict line but it’s much different than what used to be acceptable

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zanjero said:

Time to change WC member age eligibility to 18-23. Has this been discussed?

If I recall, this idea has been floated before, and it’s been mocked and ridiculed. “You can’t deny the experience to the kids” etc. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If I recall, this idea has been floated before, and it’s been mocked and ridiculed. “You can’t deny the experience to the kids” etc. 

Open Class (with age capped at 17) is for kids. 
Like Trix, but different.  

And if my 18th birthday is in July, must I transfer from the OC corps to a WC corps that day, and learn a new show mid-season?  Or more likely, I simply cannot march either OC or WC that season because no one will have me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Open Class (with age capped at 17) is for kids. 
Like Trix, but different.  

What about kids who are not interested in, or do not have the ability to move to WC,  and wish to age out of OC?  You just say too bad kid, you’re too old at 18, 19?  Now go to a corps with a significant jump in time requirements and tuition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I understand, yet if this became the "new normal" where would we see a negative impact? The push back maybe less audition fees, camp fees, et cetera.
Possibly the tour fees, in general, coming from parents? 

Edited by Zanjero

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would keep the upper age at 21.   

If all members are over 18, that solves the problem of consensual acts between adults.   But it doesn’t solve the problem of non-consensual assaults.  

An adjustment to 22 or 23 would cover some of the recruitment gap created by the change. 
Solving some of the problem is better than none. 

40 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And if my 18th birthday is in July, must I transfer from the OC corps to a WC corps that day, and learn a new show mid-season?  Or more likely, I simply cannot march either OC or WC that season because no one will have me?

I see why no one would like this. 

• Like 1

What about those individuals who choose to march in an open class corps because of what that organization has to offer works best for them? I'd think that there are actually some people out there who actually enjoy the open class experience and have a loyalty to those corps all the way through their age out year. 
The issue isn't and shouldn't be age related. 16 year olds on up should know right from wrong and if any problems occur; action should take place. The sins of the past can't be erased; but they can be corrected and atoned for via more strict policies. This applies to one and all in the activity...members, staff, support staff, etc. If more corps need to put on disciplinary hiatus or fold because of violations; so be it. I've said it before, the activity is fading and it's time to start letting corps go without trying to save them when they run into legal, situational, or financial trouble. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1