Cadets and bankruptcy

If DCI were an official National Governing Body via USCSS or a SSI entity, they would probably by liable for all this and more.

I imagine that's why there's not an open push for them to become one.

... to the detriment of members, staff, alumni, and volunteers.

• Like 3

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

If DCI were an official National Governing Body via USCSS or a SSI entity, they would probably by liable for all this and more.

I imagine that's why there's not an open push for them to become one.

... to the detriment of members, staff, alumni, and volunteers.

Well, to be fair they are only given powers that the corps want.  Also, we HAVE laws to protect people at the local level.  The problem is getting those that are wronged to USE those laws.  I would even argue that if it's fixed locally and immediately is a MUCH better solution for everyone.  I can't imagine dragging this out (for the person wronged) does anyone any good.  I would hope the culture of hiding abuse is being reversed and that we start using these laws rather than shaming yourself into silence.  Easier said than done I am sure but even IF DCI had these powers, if it's never looked into by the proper authorities we are back to square one.

Indeed there are laws, but I've encountered too many situations in which the law doesn't cover the violations endured.

Besides, resources and research I provided from international experts in safe sport day the same: the organizations and oversight bodies should take it on themselves under the duty to care. Plain and simple. They aren't a safe sport without doing so.

Did the person named in the lawsuit, Steve Vogt (apparently now deceased), have a history of abuse? I noticed when I skimmed through the complaint that points were listed that the organization and its leaders should have known he was a risk and failed in their duty to have him fully vetted. 

46 minutes ago, lawdn said:

Good on you! But fair warning to anyone sitting near you - that shirt is gonna be awfully ripe by the end of the summer! 🤣 

Keeps the seat stealers away. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was going to wash it in between but maybe I’ll just stand that sucker up in the corner.  Being odorously-challenged might save me a lot of frustration.  🤔

Ah, the smell of drum corps bus.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

DCI already has policies in place for member corps, and has acted to suspend an organization once allegations of abuse were presented to them (SOA in 2022). 

Thought Spirit took off a year on their own when they realized they had to clean up things. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I sent an email to DCI a few days ago asking if the alumni corps would be background checked.  Morgan Larson was in an alumni group and he played in JOBE in 2015 at semis and the HOF ceremony. A registered sex offender who did time in prison.

I received this response so I responded and asked specifically if the Soundsport and alumni groups would be background checked.

Hello Theresa Schehr,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Yes, World Class, Open Class and All-age have the same guidelines for compliance including Background Checks and SafeSport training.

SoundSport teams and Alumni groups do have a different set of guidelines based on the scope of their tour.

We encourage anyone to report to us if they suspect/know that there is someone that may not be in compliance.

Sincerely,
DCI.org Support

Translation:

We care on paper, but here are a few unnecessary hurdles for you to jump if you have a serious concern.

Yeah, SSI is very clear that policies should serve children/minors and adults equally, with only minimal caveats

• Like 2