DCI & Walmart Health Collaboration

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

This sounds like a great idea but all I can think of is those people of Walmart videos.  

Thinking of some of the people we had in our Senior corps… oh yeah… 😳😱😟

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

For years people have been saying corps need to get in bed with corporations to stay afloat. So DCI goes and does that, but now we have to be overly picky about what, who, how, when? 

Without being able to see the agreement we can’t know exactly how much benefit there is for the activity, but if we want this activity to survive, thrive, and provide more safety and this agreement does provide a net benefit, I’m all for it. 

yes, we have to be picky about who, what, where, and when. An activity devoted to musical and marching activities for youth has to pay attention to ethics and standards. 

I’m not critiquing corporate sponsorships or partnerships, I am questioning this particular business. Walmart is not known as being a good employer nor is it known for retaining employees. That’s not as  important a factor if the busses stop at Walmart so marching members can stock up on food, health and beauty items, socks, etc. but is it optimal for medical care? Perhaps it’s anecdotal but a Walmart near me had to close its pharmacy for a week because they could not find a pharmacist and pharmacists were stretched so thin, a substitute from another store could not fill the position. People had to travel to the neighboring store for refills and no new prescriptions were accepted at that store. Maybe in the South, Midwest, West Coast Walmart Health is the urgent care equivalent of the Mayo Clinic, but I’d be cautious. 

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

yes, we have to be picky about who, what, where, and when. An activity devoted to musical and marching activities for youth has to pay attention to ethics and standards. 

I’m not critiquing corporate sponsorships or partnerships, I am questioning this particular business. Walmart is not known as being a good employer nor is it known for retaining employees. That’s not as  important a factor if the busses stop at Walmart so marching members can stock up on food, health and beauty items, socks, etc. but is it optimal for medical care? Perhaps it’s anecdotal but a Walmart near me had to close its pharmacy for a week because they could not find a pharmacist and pharmacists were stretched so thin, a substitute from another store could not fill the position. People had to travel to the neighboring store for refills and no new prescriptions were accepted at that store. Maybe in the South, Midwest, West Coast Walmart Health is the urgent care equivalent of the Mayo Clinic, but I’d be cautious. 

I think your complaints more come from reliance versus opportunity. Would it be smart to rely on this arrangement? Not at all. But to subsidize established practices and utilize where appropriate and feasible? Great arrangement. 

• Like 1