Pre-Spring Move Ins Predictions

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Horn?  I’m sure we would have been public enemy number one. 😂 

I met up with a high school friend, a horn player and the best musician in our band. She married another horn player she met in the community orchestra. I said, “Oh, that must be nice to have that common.” She replied, “Why would I ever wish the French horn on someone I love?”

Edited by lawdn
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, lawdn said:

I had a band director who threw chairs, batons, pencils, etc., but he was more a woodwinds guy, so it wasn’t just the percussionists! Completely inexcusable, and perfectionists should probably not be teaching middle school band!

Always wondered if other schools had band leaders doing that. And why was it so common?  We had generations of band directors at my school that were known for those antics. We also had a leader who slept with 2 underage girls at 2 different schools and then was still allowed to teach in the state. But that’s a whole other story, I suppose. 

Edited by NewArpege

On 5/1/2024 at 5:08 PM, corps8294 said:

I just can't see them placing above 11th. 

Why?

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 12:53 PM, NewArpege said:

Sorry bud. I’m guessing off the best logic I can see from today. PR and Mandarins both have momentum, but now one has another top corp in their recruiting area. That’s why i give PR the edge in preseason. But things can and will change. 

Mandarins have been on an upward trend for years now. I don't attribute any of their success last year to SCV members marching in their ranks. Their program is tight and the staff knows what they are doing. They may place lower this year - sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take 3 steps forward. As long as things stay on track they will continue to climb, albeit there may be down years in that climb. I think it's silly to think their 6th place finish had anything to do with SCV, other than if SCV competed last year they probably would have been 7th. 

Edited by Vuitton
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 4:30 PM, Vuitton said:

Why?

Every time the Blue Stars have a really successful season and put themselves in a position to move up in the standings; they fall back, sometimes significantly, the following year. I haven't seen or heard anything that gives me hope that they will be challenging the likes of the Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, SCV (who is still an unknown, this year, in terms of competitive strength), and the Mandarins. I'm sure the Colts and the Troopers had a fantastic off season because of their placements last year and will be a competitive challenge for the Blue Stars, too. In all honesty, I see the Blue Stars as a corps in competitive decline and if they have a season like they did last year, they will find themselves outside of the Top 12 in 2025. Depending on how good the Blue Knights and Pacific Crest are; it could happen this year.

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Every time the Blue Stars have a really successful season and put themselves in a position to move up in the standings; they fall back, sometimes significantly, the following year. I haven't seen or heard anything that gives me hope that they will be challenging the likes of the Cavaliers, Phantom Regiments, SCV (who is still and unknown), and the Mandarins, this year. I'm sure the Colts and the Troopers had a fantastic off season because of their placements last year and will be a competitive challenge for the Blue Stars, too. In all honesty, I see the Blue Stars as a corps in competitive decline and if they have a season like they did last year, they will find themselves outside of the Top 12 in 2025. Depending on how good the Blue Knights and Pacific Crest are; it could happen this year.

Maybe, but you could say that about anyone. Would you have bet they would have finished 11th at this time a year ago? No. You'd have been laughed out of here if you said they were going to place 11th at this time last year. They had their best placement since the 70s in 2022.

I don't think Mandarins, Regiment or Cavies will be challenging SCV either. 

It's funny that Spirit misses a year and drops 2 places and with Vanguard missing a year people are saying they might not make finals. They have a great staff. THAT is key. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

It's funny that Spirit misses a year and drops 2 places and with Vanguard missing a year people are saying they might not make finals. They have a great staff. THAT is key. 

This will certainly be one of the more interesting developments of the summer. I have a hard time believing SCV's percussion section will not score well. Brass too. But...we will have to see how show design, guard, drill, and overall execution develop over the summer. 

2 hours ago, Vuitton said:

Maybe, but you could say that about anyone. Would you have bet they would have finished 11th at this time a year ago? No. You'd have been laughed out of here if you said they were going to place 11th at this time last year. They had their best placement since the 70s in 2022.

I must have missed it. Who said SCV isn’t going to make finals?

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I must have missed it. Who said SCV isn’t going to make finals?

I've seen it since they've annouced their comeback on various threads. Not everyone is saying that, of course, but I've seen a few and A LOT of people having them place in the bottom 4 of the top 12, which is just not going to happen.

• Like 1