You May Be An Old Phart if...

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, no "R"...it's  GGAAAAAAAA-Field.  :P

Ooops, I misread my New Jersey to English dictionary :P

B) GABARINA-MAZERAKAS, GABARINA-MAZERAKAS....THIS COULD BE HEARD AT DCA FINALS OUT OF PEANUT GALLERY AS FAR BACK AS AQUINAS STADIUM.....pardon if spelling is wrong...but go Skyliners...Butch always heard us and said thanks

B) GABARINA-MAZERAKAS, GABARINA-MAZERAKAS....THIS COULD BE HEARD AT DCA FINALS OUT OF PEANUT GALLERY AS FAR BACK AS AQUINAS STADIUM.....pardon if spelling is wrong...but go Skyliners...Butch always heard us and said thanks

Yeah, YMBAOP if you knew the corps by their Post numbers and names.

Or you have an album that has a corps being introduced that way (pointing finger at myself on that one).......

Or you have an album that has a corps being introduced that way (pointing finger at myself on that one).......

YEAH! One of my fovourite memories(while I still have one...)was a recording that I heard,when I was "just a Rookie"...

It was "Tony Schlechta" (SP?) anouncing ..."From Chicaga Illinoise...Da

Royalairse"...(Old Tony used to do ALL the "Big Shows"in those days:I think the

recording was from a '60's VFW Nationals...

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when "The Cadets",were "THE GARFIELD CADETS"!(an ignigma of the EASTERN Drum Corps Powerhouse of that day...)

If anyone can help my memory,(after the Strokes....)I remember a Man from Garfield,

that I met in '71`-'72 I think that his name was "Dave Shaw" (Maybe he was in charge of the old "Garfield Invitaional" (SP?) .He was a "GREAT " idealist,to show what DRUM CORPS should

be....NOT just ALL of us "OLDE PHARTS" searching for ways to bring back some of the "OLD-

SCHOOL" DAZE...(As much as I would hate to admit it,some things have been improved over

the years...)

OK,I'll stop my "babble" for now...but,as "The Gropenfuerur"would say..."I'll be BAAAACK"

Your Brother, DANIEL B)

Guilty of that one here too! :rolleyes:

I remember when "The Cadets",were "THE GARFIELD CADETS"!(an ignigma of the EASTERN Drum Corps Powerhouse of that day...)

If  anyone can help my memory,(after the Strokes....)I remember a Man from Garfield,

that I met in '71`-'72  I think  that his name was "Dave Shaw" (Maybe he was in charge of the old "Garfield Invitaional" (SP?)  .He was a "GREAT " idealist,to show what DRUM CORPS should

be....NOT just ALL of us "OLDE PHARTS"  searching for ways to bring back some of the "OLD-

SCHOOL" DAZE...(As much as I  would hate to admit it,some things have been improved over

the years...)

OK,I'll stop my "babble" for now...but,as "The Gropenfuerur"would say..."I'll be BAAAACK"

Your Brother,  DANIEL B)

In 72, Dave was our business manager...ran the tours, set up stopping locations, etc...most of the kids in the corps did not really care for him, on a personal level. Kind of an odd duck; rather ascerbic. I got along with him OK.

He lived in Don Angelica's huge old victorian-style house up in Bergen County, along with (at least) Don and Bobby Hoffman. Not sure if Pete Emmons lived there with them, or Fred Sanford either (Fred was hired by Don to be Bergenfield's band director in the 71-72 school year, as well as our percussion person...Don was Bergenfield's personnel manager for the entire district). I know Ray Capecelli, our marching 'tech' in today's terms, did not live with the rest of them.

BTW, in 71 we were billed as "The Cadets of Garfield", not the "Garfield Cadets". Why? I have no idea. :P

Mike

• 3 months later...

You know your an Old Phart if:

Your sister who marched in St. Nick's Cadets marries a bari player from Bracken who she met at a 'contest' in Philly.

Your brother-in-law tells you, "You don't need no damed rotor."

You actually expect to see an American flag & Honor Guard on the field.

You think of powder blue & white uniforms anytime you drive thru Audubon.

You stand up at a parade and salute every American flag that goes by.

That polished, well-lubed bugle sitting in the corner of your living room is twice as old as the kids marching today.

Edited by ContraBuddy