The "Z-Pull Pile-up"

How crazy is it that this was still being discussed -- over 21 years after it happened (at the time of this original post in 2005)... Thanks Dave for the clarification...

Please allow me to introduce myself... Back in 1984 I was called the "Whitewater Wipeout." For the record, please allow me to clarify a few things:

• I was 14 at the time, not 16
  • It was a warm, dry nite.. No field or external elements contributed to the incident
  • We lost the show -- though I too recall we got a perfect drill score
  • No broken bones (only egos)

The root cause is certainly up for debate... As the first guy down, I take full responsibility. Does it really matter if I was stepped on, or tripped over my own foot? Anyone who has first-hand experience navigating George Zingali's "Z-Pull" at 208 BPM knows that it's a pretty difficult maneuver.

I recall 4 or 5 of us went down that night. We all got back up to finish the last few bars -- it seemed like an eternity, but in reality we were down and back up again in a handful of seconds. As I said, no broken bones. In fact, the only thing broken were a couple of old-school two-valve G soprano bugles. I was on crutches with a sprain; missed some practice and one show.

Memories.... This is one I would prefer to forget...

Kevin Cooke

84' Garfield Cadets

I remember that night. I was sitting on side 2, about twenty rows up. It happened right in front of me. At first I thought it was planned, it was just too surreal. It happened about 10-15 seconds before the end of the show. Horns and shakos flying everywhere. By the end of the show everyone was up in with a horn in hand and shako on. Amazing.

1343791450[/url]' post='3190995']

Good to hear from you Kevin!

I did the front page news story for Drum Corps News at the time. It was one of the most unbelievable things I've ever seen in drum corps.

You're right, Garfield got a perfect 10.0 in ensemble visual that night.

You guys recovered pretty well the rest of the season.:thumbup:

Any chance you still have the article around? I'd love to see how that was covered...

How crazy is it that this was still being discussed -- over 21 years after it happened (at the time of this original post in 2005)... Thanks Dave for the clarification...

Please allow me to introduce myself... Back in 1984 I was called the "Whitewater Wipeout." For the record, please allow me to clarify a few things:

• It was a warm, dry nite.. No field or external elements contributed to the incident

The root cause is certainly up for debate... As the first guy down, I take full responsibility. Does it really matter if I was stepped on, or tripped over my own foot? Anyone who has first-hand experience navigating George Zingali's "Z-Pull" at 208 BPM knows that it's a pretty difficult maneuver.

I recall 4 or 5 of us went down that night. We all got back up to finish the last few bars -- it seemed like an eternity, but in reality we were down and back up again in a handful of seconds. As I said, no broken bones. In fact, the only thing broken were a couple of old-school two-valve G soprano bugles. I was on crutches with a sprain; missed some practice and one show.

Kevin Cooke

84' Garfield Cadets

Except Zingali would have pronounced it 'Ma- noo-vah'

• Like 2

too bad regionals werent recorded (except bootleg cassettes) and cell phones werent really around.....

That was a great show that night - one of whitewater's best Midwest Regionals. Also the first time that VK knocked Bridgemen out of the finals.

Ok, now don't take this the wrong way but, I'd live to see tape on this.

RM

It was 1984 DCI Midwest Finals in Whitewater, WI. I believe the corps won field visual that night as well.

Not only did they win visual but they got a 10 if I remember correctly.

This supposed incident never happened in Whitewater.... LOL

I was on the other side of the field and when we came off, I looked at the bent plumes and horns and thought WTH just happened. George Zingali the next day read to the corps from Atlas Shrugged and all was good in the world again.

1983 was the first Z-pull. First seen by the howitzers inside the Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx and created by a boy scout belt on a kitchen table in the staff house.

Kevin Cooke

84' Garfield Cadets

Look here- I was there and you definately had a compound fracture, didn't realize it and got up and marched the rest of the show before passing out in the parking lot.

that's what I heard in 1984 so it must be true!!!