I want to talk about Jester.

I guess where they come from, or so they said, band isn't taken too seriously.  They had to learn what a roll step was and how to do it.  I think they will become really good some day. 

i can vouch for that...having grown up in AZ i can tell you that there are a few good band programs, a few mediocre, and A LOT of bad ones. I havent seen a show in 3 years now, but when i was in HS and still watching after, every single good band came out of the burbs...not Phoenix, which is where Jester is from. The Academy is in the burbs...just to put things in perspective.

Great story though Lee....thats what its all about.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the need to chime in here.

OK...to preface my comment...

I wrote two reviews this season from shows that Jester was in. And, for the record, yes, #3 & #4 was penned by me. HOWEVER, it's important to know...#3 was a direct comment from someone who was witnessing only their second drum corps show, and his comment was not a slight against the kids(you need to read his entire comment, not just the single blurb Lee posted here)...he could tell they were trying their hearts out, but that what they were given was tremendously wrong for them.

As for comment #4, I think it pretty much speaks for itself...it, and all my critique of Jester, was directed solely at the leadership, re: Director, of the corps.

This is not the first year Jester has come out with a show that was quite a bit over the talent level of the membership (last year's show was about at the same level of difficulty)...heck, a major D-I powerhouse would have had a tough, nearly impossible time, with their book.

I spoke with several folks in the activity who had the chance to be with Jester at several cities this year. The stories I heard only solidified my belief that the problem with this corps is DEFINITELY THE LEADERSHIP. Stories like rehearsing the kids until nearly 1am following their opening show, feeding them at 1:30am that same night (morning), then waking them at 6am the next morning do not better my opinion of this organization.

This is only one of a handful of incidents that happened this year (for the sake of some brevity, I'll not go into it further).

I'm genuinely hoping they can right the ship, recruit more awesome kids, and come out in 2006 a stronger group as a whole.

What the Renegades did for them on Sunday is truly INCREDIBLE and reminds everyone what drum corps is about, in the long run.

However, Jester still needs to address a host of leadership issues in the off season. Something I'm hoping they will be inspired to do following their rousing finale in Sunnyvale.

Lee & the Renegades...on a final note: thank you for giving those kids something they truly deserved...a genuine drum corps finale to their year.

Dang , I was going to check on line.

Then it might be my background as my very first competition set a DCA record.....

For lowest score ever recorded - 37.35.

Sorry Jim - I think that honor still goes to 1979 Esquires - 28.5 before the judges got tired.......tho even that may have been eclipsed.

People, I am just #### glad that there are still groups of drum corps enthusiasts (fans, staff, and performers) out there willing to take any tiny spark of interest in this activity, wherever and whenever it can be found, stand tall and put their passion out on the field.

Lee & the Renegades...on a final note:  thank you for giving those kids something they truly deserved...a genuine drum corps finale to their year.

word. I mean, you know they look up to you cause well....youre the Renegades for god's sake! I bet they felt really cool having The Renegades cheering them on like that, a feeling they will remember for a long, long time.

My heart goes out to the members of Jester and my hat goes off to the members of Renegades. We were in a similar situation last year at Capital Sound having gone from DIV II finalists in 2003 to not even making finals in 2004.

If you have heart, passion, and dedication to what you do, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Jester's drum line coming off the field.

TZ200720233158483.jpg

Renegades cymbal players at rehearsal first trying to figure out how to make a "J" for "Jester."

TZ200720235805351.jpg

Edited by drumlaw80

Sorry Jim - I think that honor still goes to 1979 Esquires - 28.5 before the judges got tired.......tho even that may have been eclipsed.

People, I am just #### glad that there are still groups of drum corps enthusiasts (fans, staff, and performers) out there willing to take any tiny spark of interest in this activity, wherever and whenever it can be found, stand tall and put their passion out on the field.

No 1987 Prairie Fire 17.?

Jester has cool uniforms.

Heres to hoping Jester has 135 members and show the Cavaliers how to run DCI in 2006!

~>conner

Renegades cymbal players at rehearsal first trying to figure out how to make a "J" for "Jester."

TZ200720233158843.jpg

That must have been a funny spot in rehearsal.

"Hello people, it's written on the cymbals! Figure it out!" :P

Seriously though, major kudos to you and the Renegades for doing a bit to make their work feel worthwile. :)

i can vouch for that...having grown up in AZ i can tell you that there are a few good band programs, a few mediocre, and A LOT of bad ones. I havent seen a show in 3 years now, but when i was in HS and still watching after, every single good band came out of the burbs...not Phoenix, which is where Jester is from. The Academy is in the burbs...just to put things in perspective.

Wow the burbs eh... living in Phoenix for the last 20 years I haven't seen much distinction between Phoenix and this Magical land that breeds great marching programs. I already mentioned a number of GREAT programs for high school through college musicians in both Phoenix and Tucson for that matter in a post a couple of pages ago. Arizona is no excuse anymore for mediocraty. This is in no way a shot at Jester who my hat is off to. I admire any activity in the Valley giving opportunity to young musicians. My criticism lies with the typical negative attitude that lies comes from people bashing what they don't see growing. Arizona Academy is undefeated in the last two seasons, Page HS has won the WGI PSA World Championship, Corona Del Sol placed highly in a competitive BOA Regional this year. Dobson HS was the first wind ensemble to be invited to the BOA Honor Band of America Festival. High Expectations are growing through out the state, there are no more excuses.

John Denton