Murfreesboro Voting Cancelled

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cadets sent out that same kind of email last year encouraging people to vote, and didn't they go on like third or something at Murfreesboro? 

(My memory could be hazy, but I'm almost positive they went on way early.)

You are correct, sir! (in my best Ed McMahon voice)

I think it was Bubba Boo.  I heard he was really ticked off because of the whole Boo-Nac thing.

Seems it was his idea to begin with, but Michael is not giving him any credit for it.

This round of Boonacs was NOT my idea. And the best ones got cut (they only put up the first half due to bandwidth). The last one (you didn't see) actually WAS funny.

Mike

One does not have to look far on here to see threats of manipulation of the vote made RIGHT on this forum.

As I mentioned in a different thread, by even CASTING A VOTE, you are in effect "manipulating" the vote.

Did we discuss a strategy for casting votes in a certain way? Yes.

Did we attempt to "rig" the vote by hacking DCI's website?

ABSOLUTELY NOT

Our plan was to do this in a legal way, and in the same manner as everybody else; we cast our votes, then try to get other people to vote along our lines (yeah, who says there's no politics in drum corps!)

But we DID NOT plan for any kind of illegal actions such as this, and I would be willing to testify to that effect in a court of law, should it ever come to that.

Take your blaming elsewhere; it won't stick to anybody here. :blink:

Edited by Galen

For the all star game (MLB) you can vote up to 50 times. I know i voted like, a lot for my YANKEES!!! TINO!!! but i digress, voteing from all your e-mail addresses is somthing that i condone, its somthing that makes sense. and the on top of the 50 times you can vote as many times as you want at the ball park. I voted from only one e-mail address, and only once, for my Crown home dawgs.

So, it needs to be somthing where you like have to type a number, ala getting tickets from ticket master, and registering here.

that sucks. I hope they find em and nail em to the wall

Hey, before everyone starts pointing fingers, a few things...

Yowzers, yowzers, yowzers. Had to say it.

A mail campaign would generate a lot of strange results, for sure. "Manipulating" by voting a few, or a few dozen times would affect the vote a lot.

That said, this was a bot. That's the interjection of data mechanically. That's not like stuffing the ballot box - that's like adding a 0 on the end of a total. What was suggested in this case was an automated process.

It also VERY LIKELY suggests that this was all done by an individual or maybe a handful of coders/script kiddies. So whomever was "voted" for, it's very, very unlikely that an email campaign urging a "get out the vote" was to blame here.

So please, all, relax. It's gone, and lessons will be learned from this. Maybe next year, it'll be season pass subscribers that get to vote. Maybe it'll be an on-field random draw. But don't yell "conspiracy", or "blame". Who would you blame a computer virus on? Think of it that way...

I have to kind of agree with drumcat. I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually done by some high school kid who is a DCI fan, knew about this voting and has a favorite corps, and wanted to see if he/she could actually get a 'bot' that they've created to work. They probably found build-a-bot instructions online and saw this as a good way to test their new program (because its a smaller scale/easier system to hack into) and didn't think they'd get caught. You could call them a "kiddie hacker" or something, but I don't really think (hope) it would be someone who is actively on DCP-- Most everyone on here talks big, but I would like to think that we all know where to check our passion as we enter reality.

I personally thought the voting was ridiculous anyways...

why don't they just do something like this..

take the 4 corps before intermission, and put them in reverse order

take the 4 corps after intermission, and put them in reverse order

this would mean the lineup would be:

Phantom Regiment

Bluecoats

Carolina Crown

Boston Crusaders

Intermission

Cavaliers

Cadets

Blue Devils

Madison Scouts

at least it'd shake things up and keep the judges on their toes :)

Edited by DCIFanOfAllDivisions