Kuhn Retires; Casella Hired at Cavaliers

MikeN

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let us not forget the newcomer to the top drumline game.  My early prediction is that Cavies, Cadets, and Bluecoats will be fighting for number 1 next year.  Casella, Augnst, and Macintosh, all purely genius.

I'd certainly put Madison in the mix for #1 next year. They jump from

#12 to #4 in ONE YEAR and had very few ageouts, including none in

the snare line.

I'd certainly put Madison in the mix for #1 next year.  They jump from

#12 to #4 in ONE YEAR and had very few ageouts, including none in

the snare line.

What he said.

Also... Phantom has crept up the ranks and is finally up there as a major contender for drums. That, and whenever you hear the Bluecoats warming up from a distance (especially their PIT), you know who it is you're listening to before even seeing them.

Wow...just WOW! Cavie drumline is going to be unstoppable now!

But why do they call him the Caption Coordinator. Is he not the caption HEAD, or is it the same job, different title?

Really? I heard a rumor the Cadets were pretty good this year. :huh:

Great news for Jim! He's a true class act. Never count out SCV's percussion section. Jim is a wonderful arranger, but it wasn't that long ago he was teaching the SCV Cadets and working full time writing code for Apple.

Great news for Jim! He's a true class act. Never count out SCV's percussion section. Jim is a wonderful arranger, but it wasn't that long ago he was teaching the SCV Cadets and working full time writing code for Apple.

Thanks for the Background info, I never knew about either till now.

if his technique proram catches on early, game on.

Just to clarify:

Casella never had anything to do with the drumline technique program/approach while at SCV. Nope. That was Murray Gusseck. Gusseck was the technique guru...it was Murray that formulated and taught the technique program while Casella wrote the music and for many years assumed a leadership role as caption head before Murray took that over. Murray has always wrote the exercise book, the warm-ups, and the cadences. He was the "down in the trenches," hands-on drumline tech for SCV and really made their drumlines the amazing group that they were/are.

As far as the PIT, Casella had more of a role with that technique program, but not much. Jim Ancona was the main PIT tech.

Jim's talents and main contributions have always been with the writing, designing and creative aspects of the percussion. He is an amazing arranger, composer, performer, and also is truly great in leadership roles (i.e. coordinator/caption head, etc).

Just to clarify:

Casella never had anything to do with the drumline technique program/approach while at SCV.  Nope.  That was Murray Gusseck.  Gusseck was the technique guru...it was Murray that formulated and taught the technique program while Casella wrote the music and for many years assumed a leadership role as caption head before Murray took that over.  Murray has always wrote the exercise book, the warm-ups, and the cadences.  He was the "down in the trenches," hands-on drumline tech for SCV and really made their drumlines the amazing group that they were/are.

As far as the PIT, Casella had more of a role with that technique program, but not much.  Jim Ancona was the main PIT tech.

Jim's talents and main contributions have always been with the writing, designing and creative aspects of the percussion.  He is an amazing arranger, composer, performer, and also is truly great in leadership roles (i.e. coordinator/caption head, etc).

Glad someone finally pointed that out. :)

That said, Jim's arrangements are incredible...........without Jim around this season, my vote for percussion arranger of the year was for Murray, with Rennick close behind.